Railroading in Galviston Texas

Gang, We just got back from a week on the beach in Galveston Texas. I had a chance to revisit the Railroad Museum at 25th and the Strand. It has grown since I was there quite a few years ago. They had an F A&B unit, many passenger and freight cars in various states of repair. They also had a

2-8-0 in rough shape, a nice 2-6-2 and a beautiful Alco 4-6-0. They also have a operating HO layout, O layout and a display of china and railroad memorabilia.. I picked up an HO Galveston Wharves box car as a souvenir. Turns out it was cheaper than Ebay or the net if you consider shipping and the Museum needs all the money they can get. They have very few volunteers to help with locomotive and car restoration. Not much railroad action at the Galveston Wharves but then I did not have much time to watch and wait as I had my wife, son and two nephews along. We also took a tour the Elisa tall ship but no chance to run up to Houston to visit some train stores :( We rode the trolleys twice. They look old at first glance but when you see the trucks you know at least the trucks are not antiques. I asked about this and trolleys are indeed modern but built to look old fashion and are diesel electrics. They are beautifully finished with replica fittings of iron and brass. The beach was great and the first few days the surf was good. Nicholas who is almost five managed to ride a few waves all the way in. He was kneeling or laying down on his board but he did ride them in and had a blast. Missie and I managed to have a few hours alone to stroll along the beach at night and we met some interesting people. A man hating mother and recently divorced daughter from Austin who were covered with glitter. A guitar player who just came down to the beach alone to serenade the sea. We ran across Dave and Hanna having their first sex on the beach regardless of who might be strolling by. They made me think of old times and feel young and carefree again. They reminded Missie of old times too but unfortunately she wasn't feeling quite as young and carefree as I was. I talked with a couple of surfers who were riding the big waves before the Hurricane made land fall and then managed to get out of there somehow. I explained to them that they were insane and they admitted they were. Really nice guys though and seemingly very happy. They were waiting for the next Hurricane to go surfing again. They were more or less living on the beach and looking for jobs so they could eat until then. They partially sustained themselves by slipping in to the hotels for a quick continental breakfast. We met a really nice lady trolley driver and other interesting folks young and old. People just amaze me. We met a few families from New Orleans who were staying in the hotels until they could go home. Most of these folks thought that their homes would be ok and that they should be able to return as soon as the utilities are back on. None I met had missing family and for the most part were in good spirits enjoying the beach like everyone else. But then they had the means to evacuate and support themselves during their displacement. We used to go down to Galveston quite often. I almost forgot how much fun it was. If you ever get the chance to go take it. Don't miss the Railroad Museum and don't miss the world famous Guido's seafood on sea wall. A trip to Galveston without eating at Guido's is not a trip to Galveston. And take your wife or girl friend on a midnight stroll down the beach. Who knows............ you might get lucky. Dave did. Take care, Bruce
Reply to
Bruce Favinger

I went to that museum almost two years ago. I liked the way the lobby was set up with the "ghosts". The model cars were pretty good too.

I was on my honeymoon when I went. My bride and I were riding in one of those horse and buggies at night when we passed the museum. Since it wasn't the most romantic place in the world I had to muster up the courage to ask if we could go the next day.

She said yes, so I knew for sure this marriage was made to last!

Reply to
wa-kiki

Those ghosts of travelers past are really neat. They have been there for many many years. Since they are painted plaster over old clothes, shoes, newspapers, purses and the like on mannequins its amazing they have held up so well. On a few you can notice some ware and tear but they have remained in remarkable condition. Maybe they re-plaster and paint them every now and then. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger