UP MTH

in article iuy8ljykdupz$. snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net, Steve Caple at snipped-for-privacy@commoncast.net wrote on 11/10/06 6:49 AM:

Fighting UP cost real money, and specialty magazines don't have it. Believe me, I invested in one which should have been a natural (a skiing magazine for Western US ski areas), and it was always a month to month thing just buying paper! Anyway, MTH may have other flaws, and ulterior motives, but the fact remains that they hung in with UP, paid their lawyers, and won when all other folded their tents and just gave in.

So regardless of their reasons, they are to be thanked. The enemy of my enemy is my friend (at least for now).

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

CK:

Awesome. But I can't help but see the shade of Pyrrhus standing somewhere in all this, because this was at one time considered 'fair use' and therefore quite immune to the jealous guard of trademark owners. Was 'fair use' defended in this case, or did UP just agree not to charge rent for their squatter's claim on the long-suffering doctrine? If the former is true, then this will be a most excellent precendent, but that's not what I gather from the quote.

Cordially yours: G P

Reply to
pawlowsk002

I don't know about RMC, but certainly MR had to walk a very fine line in light of the access that they would like to maintain for TRAINS magazine. In the real world, losers are seldom celebrated. : (

Besides, with the way everyone seems to complain about MR (including many in this group), why would they be considered "the voice" of model railroading?

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

"Dan Merkel

Because they like to think they are?

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

pweeeng!

Score: +1 for Roger

Reply to
Steve Caple

No one else has assumed or even aspired to the mantle...!

Reply to
+GF+

It'll be interesting to see how much Jim Webb keeps up his critique of income disparity, and also if any of the likes of the chickenhawk NeoCons and old line economic royalists that have waged it so long and so successfully themselves, will now accuse him of being a commie traitor fomenting class warfare

Almost makes you wish some people could be called out to the field of "honor" (a word they love to bandy about) to face a loaded weapon for the first time in their lives, at least the first time other than in somebody else's wife's bed, or in an argument with their coke connection.

Reply to
Steve Caple

The story I hear is that Hundman is out of business. He's sold CTC Board and N-scale magazine, and I haven't gotten a MM in a few months.

On the flip side, John Sipple at Model Railroad News has been editorializing regularly, so I expect something from him soon.

Kennedy

Reply to
Kennedy (no longer not on The Haggis!)

He's been wanting out of the magazine business for a while. The new owner of N Scale has already put out the first issue.

Hundman is apparently going to concentrate on books rather than magazines.

Reply to
Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis spake thus:

Too bad; he should concentrate on building stuff. Ever seen his models? This guy builds complete tenders *from scratch*, as well as lots of other things.

His writing sucks, but he's an exquisite modelmaker.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Just FYI: Athearn announced in todays (Nov 16, 2006) news that they are rolling back prices to reflect the new UP licensing policy:

------------------------- Union Pacific License

------------------------- There's big news on the Union Pacific license. The terms have been changed, and we no longer have to pay the railroad in order to make models with their marks. We'll be rolling our prices back on all existing inventory and on all items announced but not yet shipped to match the pricing of all the other road names in each category. You'll see the results in this group of announcements.

So at least one company is passing the savings along. Good job, Athearn!

Reply to
Edward A. Oates