uphill power, n scale

My loco will not make it up a little hill that I made with more than three cars. It is a bachman that came in a basic set. Are there more powerful locos? Do I need a more powerful power pack? Thx,

Andres

Reply to
andresmuro

Almost any loco is likely to be more powerful than what comes with a basic set. Try Kato. Also, your "little hill" might not be as little as you think. What's the grade?

-- Bill McC.

Reply to
Bill McCutcheon

Andres wrote: My loco will not make it up a little hill that I made with more than three cars. It is a bachman that came in a basic set. Are there more powerful locos? Do I need a more powerful power pack? Thx,

First, I'd check to make sure the track is clean. It oculd have oil on it if it is new. Unless the locomotive is one of Bachmann's (not Spectrum) small steam locomotives (they are very lightweight and don't offer a lot of traction and not much provision for adding weight to them), the locomotive should have no problem with a small grade. What is the grade you're trying to ovecome? A more powerful power pack would not help.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
's Books and Toy Trains:
to 1,000 sites:

Bill

Andres wrote: My loco will not make it up a little hill that I made with more than three cars. It is a bachman that came in a basic set. Are there more powerful locos? Do I need a more powerful power pack? Thx,

-------------------------------------------- This might help....

From NMRA's Trackwork Basics by Roger Henslley:

Reply to
Bill

When the train stalls, does the loco's motor just stop or do the wheels continue to spin? If it's the latter then you might be able to add a little more weight to the loco to gain more traction.

Either way, as Bill McC points out, your hill might be steeper than you think. I would have expected even the most basic loco to pull > 3 cars up even a 'steep' hill.

Regards, Ron McF

Reply to
RonMcF

Andres wrote: My loco will not make it up a little hill that I made with more than three cars. It is a bachman that came in a basic set. Are there more powerful locos? Do I need a more powerful power pack? Thx,

------------------------------------------------ Here are two helpful books that you're sure to refer to many, many times:

"N Scale Model Raiload That Grows";

"Track Planning for Realistic Operation" by John Armstrong:

These two books are very popular among modelers and are 32% off plus free shipping on orders over $25.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
's Books and Toy Trains:
to 1,000 sites: