veneer loads

I bought a couple Bowser round roof boxcars; going to kitbash them by cutting holes where the doors would be, putting some holes in the roof, and will have wooden beams in the doorway all to resemble the veneer business that used to exist on the Northern Pacific in Washington State. I'm wondering what would be a great idea to assimulate/resemble the bales of veneer? To the best of my recollection, the bales weren't exactly true to form or anything formal like a stack of lumber per say.....anybody else dive into this idea of modeling? Thanks for your ideas in advance!

Reply to
spokaneharley

Tissue Paper?

-Hudson

Reply to
Hudson Leighton

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in article = ... . I'm wondering what would be a great idea to

I should think small bundles of paper strips would work. perhaps you = could use you computer printer to effect a wood grain on it.

Reply to
Les Pickstock

How about real strips of veneer? I've seen rolls of quite thin stuff about an inch wide, used for shelf edging. I think I have some around here somewhere. You could try to soak them in water to see if they would warp a bit, to simulate the real thing.

Good luck!

Bob Boudreau Canada

Reply to
Railfan

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:39:20 UTC, Railfan wrote: 2000

Since real veneer is 1/28 inch thick that scales out to 3+" in HO. Kind of thick.

Reply to
Ernie Fisch

Veneers are between 1/16 and 1/40 thick. That translates to 5.5 to 2.5 HO inches thick.

The sheets run anything from 3-12" wide to 36" long to 48" wide and

96" long.

I'd get a copy of the Constantines catalog [free] and use cut outs or photocopies from it to top a pile of paper veneer.

Eric

Bob wrote:

How about real strips of veneer? I've seen rolls of quite thin stuff about an inch wide, used for shelf edging. I think I have some around here somewhere. You could try to soak them in water to see if they would warp a bit, to simulate the real thing.

Reply to
Eric

If you can find it, some brands of cigars come wrapped in extremely thin sheets of cedar (e.g. Macanudo cigars). The sheet is about 4" wide and the same length as the cigar. I have wondered where they get this stuff -- it would seem to have good modeling applications like your veneer loads. It is very brittle, but probably soaking it in a mix of water, a little detergent and a little white glue would solve that.

Ptooey

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Achmed Ptooey

I checked with MR's magazine index for items on veneer loads, and came up with two articles: April 1977, page 76, and September 1973, page

  1. Both authors did the same thing, that is they added some poles to the doorways of boxcars to make the veneer cars. I assume this was to allow ventilation through the loads.

In the '73 article the author used plain typing paper for the veneer, cut into scale 4 by 8 foot sheets. He used a paper cutter. He bundled the sheets together in 100 sheet lots and glued them with white glue. From the small shots of the prototype cars, the veneer sheets appear to be relatively thick, and I assume they are further processed to obtain a useable product.

Bob Boudreau Canada

Reply to
Railfan