Walthers Passengers Cars

Has anyone changed the couplers on the new Walthers passenger Cars? If so what couplers did you change to and any special hints as to mounting? Thanks Tim

Reply to
Tim Broadley

I have some of both the Amtrak Superliners and the traditional Budd corrogated side cars. Both use the same coupler centering mechanism and it is simple to turn the car upside down, locate the black coupler cover plate and remove the two black screws holding it to the floor. Simple remove the clone coupler, slip in a KayDee spring plate, add a #5 or a #58 and replace the coupler cover and its two screws. I initially installed #58s but due to the typical train show alignment of our modules that caused separations, I returned to the larger KD #5s, reasoning that if the train stays coupled, the larger size coupler is pretty much unseen. It has worked well for me and when we set up at shows, the couplers behave and stay together over some prety horrid connections.

Same has worked for the few Walther's smooth side cars I have, same mechanixm.

Richard Albuquerque

Reply to
Richard Sullivan

I have changed the couplers on all my Walthers cars to Kadee #5. I removed all of the swinging coupler pocket and body mounted the #5 in its own draft gear. There is a slight lip that has to be trimmed or filed down to get a level mount, and make room for the coupler box to slide into the loop on the end. This usually comes out the correct height but I always check.

It might be possible to put a #5 into the swinging pocket, but I didn't try this. Some of the cars with the swing pockets have major differences in coupler height - like the Amfleet cars. That's why I just body mount them all and shim to get them to match the Kadee height gauge.

Andy

- Pre-Interstate Urban Archaeology

Andy Harman

Kadee #5s drop fit in easily. I have not height problems with my 20 cars. I don't see any need to body mount them.

Reply to
MrRathburne