What did LMX stood for on the GE Leasers to BN?

A friend asked me and I didn't know the answer. Does anyone?

Thanks

Frank Rosenbaum

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

LMX is GE's locomotive leasing subsidiary. I'm not sure specifically what the LM stands for (Locomotive Management?), but I do know that the "X" on the end means that the piece of equipment is owned by a company (GE in this case) that is not actually a railroad.

HTH, Stevert

Reply to
Stevert

The "X" stands for transportation.

Reply to
+GF+

Thanks for the info.

Frank

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

while that *might* be the case, Stevert is also correct about the X meaning it's a leasing company. That's why CSX had to use CSXT as their reporting marks, and not CSX, since their a railroad. If you notice all those "rent-a-wreck" lease units that the railroads use, they all end in X (FURX, HLCX, HATX, CEFX, NREX, LTEX, etc)

Reply to
me

Other examples include Trailer Train (TTLX), Union Tank Car (UTLX), General American Tank Car (GATX), and many, many more.

Reply to
Rick Jones
+GF+ spake thus:

I thought "X" meant "exchange", meaning cars with these designations could be exchanged among various roads.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

From their web site, the CSX name means:

C = Chesapeake S = Seaboard X = Etc.

The Etc. refers to the other companies that merged with Chessie and Seaboard to form CSX.

Reply to
Ken Rice

No, it is used to denote that the owning company is not a railroad. It has nothing to do with the interchange status of the car or locomotive.

Reply to
mark_newton

ok, but that has nothing to do with what I was talking about... ;)

Reply to
me

well, if you're going to include freight cars, there's probably thousands of reporting marks that end in X :) I was basically concentraing on engines, since the OP was talking about LMX GE leasers..

Reply to
me

CSX still does!

Reply to
Steve Caple

no they don't, they never have. Their reporting marks are "CSXT" for precisely that reason. The company name is CSX (actually the railroad part is CSX Transportation) so the T fit in perfectly in their reporting marks.

Reply to
me