Why Do You Railroad?

I was curious why you are involved in model railroading? I know some people worked on actual railroads and have tried to model it. Some people like to model railroads they grew up around. Some people like to build scenery.

I'm not real sure why this has always interested me, but I know I'm more interested in having a functional working model than in the scenery. Meaning I like having a working yard where I can tear apart and dismantle trains and have some place to send them and such. Not really interested in a real prototype. I do know I've been interested in trains ever since I got a Lionel for Christmas when I was a kid. I also remember looking at this book of track plans I had back then (I still have it), I think that sealed it for me as far as wanting something more eventually.

Reply to
iarwain_8

God complex, you build your very own little world and control it.

Reply to
Cosmopolite

As long as I can remember I've always been fascinated with models and model building of all types. I guess the reason I focus my attention on Railroads is that Model Railroading allows for quite a variety of model building, a Model Railroad is not a static display and my dad was a model railroader so I have been exposed to model trains since birth. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Except for the bit about your father, you've pretty well described my motivations. Model ships and planes just don't offer the same diversity in modelling. Some of the military dioramas I've seen are pretty diverse, but they're static.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

As a Brit in the US, my basement is a little Britain to retreat to!! Always liked trains, real and models, love the preserved scene in UK I never knew before this hobby I had artistic skills?? Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

I can't recall a time when I was not interested in trains of all sizes.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

It gets me out of the house.

pb

Reply to
polar bear

Because my mommy told me I would go blind pursuing my other hobby.

Jeff

Reply to
1shado1

Always wanted a rail layout as a child but never got one. My olde

brother got to do the "rail" thing though (forgive the pun", not s much build as drive, working his way up from what was then called i the uk, a second-man (in the days of steam = fireman) up to driver

-- Ro

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Roy's Profile:

this thread:

Roy

Because on my 3rd Christmas back in 1958 I awoke and pitter pattered down the hall and saw this giant black thing with a red lever and green and red bulbs glowing in that "this is for YOU" glow that only the kids in "A Christmas Story" were supposed to know. That American Flyer set might have been a hand me down but the fact that I showed interst in anything hobbies afforded me a trip to the hobby shop with my dad where I was awestruck by the Athern boxes and all the pretty colors on the passenger cars

Later it was reinforced by the fact that with my dad being a pretty big model airplane guy in the area, nothing I could do with balsa was good enough for him to leave alone so I turned to plastic kits and hydrocal, the playground of those of us with ADD.

( but I do like the other answers I've read regarding the God like influence and other hobbies making you go blind.)

Reply to
the OTHER Mike

Any fish & chips down there per chance?

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

Same here TO, Also my Mom made sure we went down to Penn Station in Newark, NJ to watch the GG-1's shake the hell out of the building! So IT'S ALL HER FAULT!!! Thanks Mom!

{snipola}

hehehe... No sup rise there Mike... you were the first person i thought of when i read that...

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

Hasn't Harry Ramsden's moved into the franchise market out there yet then?

Reply to
Roy

Because I enjoy it. I don't really know why. Some things I like, some I don't.

I could generate a whole list of things I like ABOUT model railroading (or many other things), but none totally describes WHY I like the whole, or even the parts.

What's you favorite color? ... and WHY is it better than any other color? ... it's purely subjective.

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

Because I can! 8^D

"Paul - The CB&Q Guy" (Modeling 1960's In HO.)

Reply to
The CB&Q Guy

because my kids cut into my computer flight simming time ;o)

Reply to
allenby