worst designed tool? DREMEL!

It cuts one side of the rail fairly smooth and the otherside a wrecked. I confess to using it at times because I'm too lazy to get out the dremel. The Dremel is MUCH better at rail cutting. Almost no touch up is needed.

It is also true that the Xuron is a bit safer if both sides of the rail to be cut are not properly secured from flying away. With the Xuron, the smaller piece sort of shoots way parallel to the rail direction. With the dremel, a small piece can FLY awy at high speed. Secure both parts of the rail and prevent the rail from vibrating side to side during a dremel cut.

Ed.

in article snipped-for-privacy@walkersquawkerNOSPAM.net, SleuthRaptorman at snipped-for-privacy@walkersquawkerNOSPAM.net wrote on 10/6/03 8:07 PM:

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' Hey Ed,

I started out with the battery one myself many years ago and was going to write about my experience/uses with it. But you already wrote exactly what I was going to say!

Thanks...

Paul - "The CB&Q Guy" (Happily Modeling 1969)

Reply to
Paul K - The CB&Q Guy

Other than the usual MR uses, mine is great for sharpening the chainsaw. There are special stones just for this.

John H.

Reply to
NERD

So what's the warranty like?

Reply to
Neb Okla

For hanging the motor part when using the flex shaft, I drape it over my back or across my shoulders and neck. Works well for keeping it handy and out of the way. For cutting gaps the flex is a must IMHO. Besides I get a neck massage at the same time.

-ken c

Reply to
Ken Cameron

and

I have both. The battery units are handy for many light jobs. Great for using on the layout in places where a cord would be a nuisance. The variable-speed unit (with flex shaft for when I need it) lives on my workbench, where it is used constantly.

Mark Alan Miller

Reply to
Mark Alan Miller

I would say that you have probably never tried any other similar tool.

Yea it will. They make different size collets and even a "finger" jacobs chuck which is just like the one on a regular drill.

I reckon it does!!!....it's just like trying to put your auto transmission in reverse at high speed. The button pushes into a notch,,,and why would you pushing that anyway. Need to train your fingers.

Spread the tabs a little.

Sometimes things like this do happen , but , give them a call.They will replace it for free. They have the best service of anyone I have dealt with ( which was only once for a problem) , my battery died after only 9 years of use. I have oredered different items from them and asked questions and they have been great.

Hmmm...must not be familiar with that particular model. But if so....big deal , shouldn't be too hard to learn which way it goes.

Get a toolbox.

I have bought other "similar" rotary tools , and IMO, there is no competition. I have been using a dremel for over 40 years and have never wore one out , and other than a battery dying , no problems at all. BTW , I have owned the all the different styles , Dremel free wheeler battery powered, Mity Mite , corded and love them all. And their service is second to none.

Ask other modelers and see if you can get them to give up their Dremel. Not me.

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day
5: Ther re-chargable battery has no indication of which is the proper way to insert it into the body of the tool.

------------------------------------------------- Hmmm. My Mini-Mite has "triangles" cast in the plastic. The triangle on the battery case is matched with the triangle on the tool or on the charger. I don't know if this applies to other Dremel rotary tools.

The first time I charged my Mini-Mite battery, I didn't notice the triangles and had the battery backwards. It charged ok and no harm was done.

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

I have the Multi-Pro cordless. The battery is keyed and cannot be inserted backwards in either the tool or the charger.

Ed.

in article snipped-for-privacy@storefull-2134.public.lawson.webtv.net, Bill at snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote on 10/9/03 3:45 PM:

Reply to
Edward A. Oates