Wow

It would help if you specified which version o Windows and IE/OE you are running.

In the meantime, have you:

a) updated your anti-virus (etc) software and run it recently? (You will probably have to pay for those updates, which shouldn't faze you - you pay for regular maintenance for your car, right? Same goes for your computer.)

b) updated your copy of Windows? (If it's Win95/98/ME, you have an orphan operating system, and should replace it as soon as possible.)

c) updated your copies of MS software? IE is at version 7-something, and OE at 6-something (I don't know for sure, I use neither of them.)

d) double-checked all settings in OE? It's especially important that you check the identities and passwords.

e) considered using another e-mail/newsreader program than OE? (Recommended).

Sometimes it works to delete the account from OE, restart and remove all remaining evidence of the account from OE, restart and set up the account again, and then, just for good measure, restart again.

Note that updating can take a long time, and may require several restarts. If you haven't updated recently, you may not even see all updates, since some of them won't work until prior ones are installed. So you should repeat the updating until MS's update site tells you there are no more updates available for your computer (or you don't need the available ones.)

If you are using wireless, it's possible that your computer is connecting to an external network, in which case that network may not let your machine send anything, and it may be filtering incoming mail, too. This just happened to us: the motel across the street has set up wireless access for its guests, and from time to time my wife's laptop latches onto that external network instead of our in-house one. Depends on where she's located. She could receive, but not send.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf

e-mail. Both are IMO superior to OE< I belong to many Yahoo (moderated) groups dealing with modelRRing and DCC. Many emails are save and form a very large database. Probably thousands of messages. Changing all this would be very difficult.

I'm guessing something/someone has vastly restricted this news groups because it's gotten out of hand lately. How it's been done (IF) or how it could be done I have no idea but with enough complaints I suspect ISPs could do something if they wanted. A sure indication something was going on would be other similar news groups, with similar postings, that seem to be also lacking mail/news.

Reply to
Jon Miller

the problem started?"<

No, nothing on my computer but about in the middle of the day it just stopped sending (Saturday). A check with my ISP trouble line (recorded message) said that there was a POP problem and I should switch servers. I did this the next day but so far it doesn't matter which one I use I still can't send (OE only). As I said Yahoo mail works fine and I can receive all.

Reply to
Jon Miller

I use Thunderbird (free) for newsreading, and PMMail (about $40) for e-mail. Both are IMO superior to OE. Thunderbird is also an e-mail client, but PMMail is better, because it refuses to open any attachments without your permission, which makes it very safe to use. Won't open a link to a website, either.

Well, it means you have a socket error, which I can't deal with. It does look like a problem at your end, though, so you should be able to fix it, with help. I suggest you go to a Windows newsgroup, and ask your question there, posting the above error message. Try

microsoft.public.windows.ienetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress

Good luck!

Reply to
Wolf

Normally by now I would have 20 to 50 messages from this group and that's with a few in the kill files. This morning so far only you and Wolf!

Reply to
Jon Miller

end (POP server problems), so it sounds like the ball's in their court.<

The current message says the POP problem is fixed and everything is operating normally. I was told that POP has nothing to do with the ISP per say but is actually their phone service!

Reply to
Jon Miller

POP has nothing to do with their phone service.

POP is their server protocol (it stands for Post Office Protocol, if you really want to know.) It's definitely at their end: they have a POP server to transmit incoming mail to you. They will have another server to receive outgoing mail from you and pass it on. That outgoing server may be another POP server, or it may be an SMTP server (Small Mail Transport Protocol, IIRC). My ISP uses an SMTP server. I don't know what your ISP does, but you should have the original instructions of how to set up OE to work with their service. It will tell you how to set up OE for incoming and outgoing mail.

BTW, if you have Windows set to automatic update, you may have received an XP update on Saturday, in connection with that silly early shift to summertime.

To a previous post: yes, testing the connection with another machine will help identify the problem.

Hey, Dave, if you're reading this, you know that Windows systems often respond to a reboot. That's the first thing to try whenever anything goes wrong. And I've found that uninstalling/reinstalling misbehaving programs etc often clears up a problem. But since the Windows uninstaller is a piece of crap, you almost always have to delete a bunch of stuff manually. Hence my suggestion about deleting and recreating the e-mail account.

BTW, a utility called CCleaner does a very good job of getting rid of leftover garbage. I d/l it last week, and have used it twice on this machine. It seems to work as advertised.

Reply to
Wolf