36 volt genny sought

A close friend is looking for a 36V 700W petrol generator. It needs to be as quiet and light as possible. Does anyone have any idea where he/I would
find something like this?
I don't have a clue what it's for but I've asked.
Regards,
J. Kim Siddorn,
I know more now. I warm to the man - he's as mad as the rest of us. ;o))
His aging father has an electric bicycle but it only has a short range & he seeks to widen that range by towing a little trailer carrying a small generator. Apparently, British special forces use one & he is hoping to pick one up on WD surplus.
The motor peaks at 250 watts & normally draws 150 on the level. And by the square I make no doubt .......
Regards,
Kim Siddorn,

Very interesting - I have often wondered whether carrying an IC (or other) engine powered charger on an electric bicycle would make it a hybrid moped in the eyes of the law, and thus subject to very different requirements with regard to licensing, insurance etc.
Nick H
wrote

Hi Nick, I also think it would make the cycle subject to moped regulations & also motorcycle licence & insurance regulations if the generator was greater than 49CC! The generator & motor would just replace the chain.
--
Dave Croft
Warrington
> Hi Nick, I also think it would make the cycle subject to moped regulations & also

Were we talking about straightforward electric transmission a la Tilling Stevens bus or Tiger tank, then I agree it would be an open and shut case. But carrying a battery chartger with you strikes me as subtly different.
Nick H.
wrote

i did an road legal electric motorcycle a few years ago and needed to do a similar thing... in pennsylvania (usa) a trailer would require another licensing problem. i made it into a sidecar that was was hinged to the frame of the bike. i called it my "lowbrid" system instead of a hybrid.. sam

Bit different in the 'States - aren't those 'Whizzer' bolt-on petrol engines for bicycles still legal over there? Like the idea of the heavy bits in a mini banking sidecar though - like a Wall (or Smiths/Briggs in USA) auto wheel.
Nick H.
wrote

in some states that's legal. we tend to vary state-to-state quite a bit. sammm

Only if you use the charger whilst stationary.
The bike is supposed to be only electrically assisted to avoid motor vehicle status. I think that means you must pedal, the motor must be <200W and the speed must be <12mph. My wife's complies in all respects except the pedaling bit but I still pedal because I feel like a fool not to!
Yes it is also 36V (11Ah), 16 mile round trip no prob.
Andrew Heggie

I suspect you're right, but it would probably nedd to be tested in court.

Whether power to the motor is activated by pedalling or by a simple handlebar switch depends on whether the machine is built to the British EAPC standard (nice and simple) or the theoretically superseding Euro regs (infinitely complicated).
Nick H

Bit late on this one, but I just came across this Department for Transport fact sheet:-
http://www.croydon-lcc.org.uk/downloads/200412_DfT_ElectricAssistPedalCycles.pdf
Does say "if the vehicle is to be regarded as an EAPC the motor assistance must be provided by an electric motor and not by an internal combustion engine" however, it is still unclear as to whether using an ic engined charger to top up the batteries 'in flight' as it were, would count as powering the vehicle (and anyway what about a stirling or steam engine?). Mind you, despite being a governement publication it is careful to state that it "should not be taken as definitive legal advice as this is a matter for the courts"! Is your mate's father up for being a test case Kim?!
BTW. Where do the increasingly popular mobility scooters fit in - cant be an EAPC as no pedels, but still presumably exempt from licencing and insurance requirements.
Nick H.

32/36 volts is an old standard for farm lighting systems. There were still quite a few around in South Africa in the 70s when we were there and 32 volt light bulbs were easy to find in rural shops. ISTR that they were also commonly used in railway carriages in the UK Most of the generators were Lister or Petter powered, but interestingly the ubiquitous Johnson/OMC Chorehorse was available in 32/36 volt versions, which would exactly fit your request if you could find one, you might have better luck in Canada or the USA.
There were a few 32 volt light bulbs in the Internal Fire showcases in the entrance lobby when I was there last year, so they could know more.

How much can one squeeze out of the standard UK 30v (for charging 24v batteries) job if you crank the control knob right up? Every sale seems to boast a selaction of them at various prices and there was on on ebay last week which drew not a single bid: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item 0182059197
Nick H

Take a standard 24V alternator, find the sense connection and put a suitable zenner into it to raise the output voltage.
John
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 06:31:58 -0800 (PST), John

Yes, I expect a 12V alternator windings would stand the voltage as long as the current rating was kept the same but wouldn't you need to replace the whole regulator?
AJH

The idea is that the sense line will 'see' the output voltage minus the drop across the zener and thus regulate at the higher voltage. Should work, but I think the guy is looking for a ready made compact 'jungle genny' type set rather than something nailed together from bits such as might appeal to the rest of us ;-)
Nick H
My thanks to all who responded to this query & various ideas are being investigated. I suspect he doesn't realize just how much power it is going to take to drive the genny in order to maintain the battery at peak voltage/amps.
I have a 24 volt lorry alternator that will stop a Petter AA1 dead in its tracks if you attach it to a couple of flattish 12 volt batteries without a slide resistor to bring it on load gradually - and it sure does grunt to itself!
Regards,
J. Kim Siddorn, Regia Anglorum
This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named addressee only and the information in this message and/or attachments may contain protected health, legally privileged, or otherwise confidential information. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you may not further disseminate, distribute, disclose, copy or forward this message or any of the content herein. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may or may not indicate the established policy of Regia Anglorum. It is the society's principal to rely solely upon hard copy communications in dealing with contractual matters.
This computer is protected with daily updated anti-viral software, but it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure their incoming mail is virus-free.