"The Inspector and the Bolts" sought

When I were but a stripling lad and there was still a military aviation establishment of some note in this country, there was a piece published in our house journal called "The Inspector and the Bolts".

Written in mock Biblical language, it recounted the sad tale of an AID inspector who travelled to the premises of a sub-contractor and examined some bolts. Although he well and truly tested them, it was later found that they had been made according to an outdated version of The Drawing and he was forced to consume them without salt.

It was pretty famous at the time - I don't suppose anyone has a copy of it, do they?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Nick Highfield

A cautionary tale indeed!

Still happens though, it never ceases to amaze me, the number of ISO this and that registered firms that just cannot get their act together on basic stuff like dimensioning a drawing so it is readable, and getting small details like threads correct.

We have seen huge contract folios with upwards of 100 pages of bumf, with about

2 pages of technical specification for the bit that makes the whole thing work properly.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Well done Nick! Forty years I've been looking for that.

Now, if you can find me a copy of "The Power to Fly" by LJK Setright, I'd have no reason to visit Venice, my life then being complete ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

"Nick Highfield" wrote

Reply to
J K Siddorn

I'm waiting for "Some Unusual Engines" by the same author to be republished. Last time I saw a second hand edition I really could not justify the asking price.

Reply to
Nick Highfield

In message , J K Siddorn writes

George Hendry

Yours for £3.75

In message , J K Siddorn writes

Reply to
George Hendry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Try the link below Kim

Mike.H.

Reply to
Mike.H

=books

Also Item 698 on

Mike.H

$100 ? Ouch?

I'll wait awhile, they might re-publish it.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Yes, Chaters wanted £60 for 'Some Unusual Engines'. Always a good read is old Long John Kickstart. Enough technical detail to satisfy, but without delving into the yards of 'hard sums' which come free with pure text books.

Reply to
Nick Highfield