Private Engine Rally this summer

A year or so back I was thinking of holding a small private rally on the ground we rent for the hosses (3.5 acres) and Martin P reminded me about this matter in an email this morning.

We would like to run a trial this summer, on the following basis if that meets requirements:

1) Camping and parking space is available and free. 2) No habitation for 1 mile or so, therefore no restrictions on engine running times etc. 3) Open fires subject to conditions, it it's too dry then we may have to say no because of two big fields of arable stuff either side of us. 4) Drinking and engine water will be provided in separate tanks. 5) No waste disposal facilities will be available, but we can supply bin bags for collection of rubbish. 6) Suggest a Friday start/setup and run through till Sunday to allow those travelling a bit of time to relax. 7) No mains electricity on site, but we can probably provide something if nobody brings a genny set along, we have the 3.5kVA JLO set we can drag out and bring along... 8) Ditto for site lighting. 9) Minimum of driving round the field as it's the horses food we are using :-))

No real regulations other than we would normally have for a rally, it's private so no need for too much formality, but safety matters must be observed.

Comments welcome, time not set yet, but we will endeavour to fit in with everyone elses needs. We will be at Portland towards the end of August but otherwise are free for the summer.

Location is off the B645, 1 mile East of Chelveston Village. We are adjacent to an MOD site with radio listening gear so no excursions off the field please, they are pretty strict about people roaming amongst the Yagis...

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

Well, thanks Peter, that is most kind of you and I would do my very best to come, so long as Saxon affairs do not require me to be elsewhere.

Someone has to suggest a date, so how about 5/6th June?

I thought I'd bring a chainsaw engine and leave it on the grass ..........

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

We've got a chainsaw already, probably going to use it in the next few weeks to cut up a couple of downed trees and large boughs.

I'm not going to specify anything about engine types or sizes, the great and the good will no doubt sort that out amongst themselves!

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

in the next few weeks to cut up a couple of downed trees and large boughs.

I agree - but it would be good to know what others were intending to bring to promote diversity.

A chainsaw engine is not a lawnmower engine and I thought I'd use it as a funny line to avoid having my phone ring at four in the morning and finding horses heads in me bed ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

- who now has a lawnmower engine of his own to exhibit!.

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Sounds good to me, as long as it doesn't clash with Astle Park or Welland any date should be fine. I can be available on the Friday to help set up if necessary. Should be able to fetch a few nice bits and bobs seen as it's reasonably local to me - a T300 in the back of the car at least ;-)

Regards

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

Hi Peter,

This sounds like a good weekend and a very generous offer. Will you accept lawnmower engines? If so, count me in please, dates permitting.

Mains electricity is not a problem as my little BSA makes a whole 800 watts.

Serious time now.

Will the public be permitted and how do we stand for insurance? I know it's a b**ger but with ambulance chasing lawyers now operating, I would rather not hear from them. For myself, I would be willing to sign a personal disclaimer and accept my own risk. For your own protection, you may wish to consider that requirement.

Regards

John

Reply to
John Manders

The nags are quite friendly but not trained or broken, and they live as a family herd of five. They will be curious no doubt, but tend to be entirely motovated by a pile of sweet grass or hay, although carrots do tend to go down well..:-))

As far as the internal combustion side goes, anything interesting would do, and we will provide free beer for the Saturday night revelry, that should bring a few more along if nothing else! If the conditions are right for a community fire then we will also provide a sack of roasting potatoes..

One condition I will have to impose, that of this being by invitation/arrangement only. I will have to know in advance who is coming, and we will not be able to take any last-minute gatecrashers unless we knew in advance that they were coming.

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

Hi John:

See my comment re engines, it's up to you guys.

Re insurance, this is a private meeting, public not allowed. All who attend will be by invitation only, I will confirm with our insurers what we need to have in place if anything.

I think we should all look to cover our own risks. We will have to insure against damage to the field as it is not ours, and we will probably ask for a small collection for the Church that owns the field as a gesture of appreciation for allowing us to use it for the meeting.

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

I was going to suggest a charity box of some sort. As for insurance, those of us that rally elsewhere are obliged to have third party public liability insurance anyway. For any without this can be covered by transferring ownership of the exhibit to someone who has insurance and is willing to accept the risk for the weekend - simple!

Regards

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

I for one would like to support this event, but the date would be critical as we are booked in at othr Rallies for end of May and the next two weeks in June.

Reply to
Pete Aldous

Well, as you probably know I am not generally a rally bunny, but this does sound tempting.

I presume some sort of liability insurance would be required, does David Franklin still do this, I don't recall having seen an ad. for some time?

One thing I am definitely not is a camping bunny so it would be a one day visit for me, would that be ok?

Plenty of time to think about it.

Reply to
Nick Highfield

Can't think of any good reason why you shouldn't pop over for the Saturday and evening, Nick. A lot of guys won't be able to make a full weekend of it, so we have to allow a fair bit of flexibility.

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

I'd be expecting to roll up on the Friday night late and set up on Saturday morning.

As to insurance, if we are all members of clubs that provide TPL cover as part of the subscription - and most do - then we are all covered - I think ............... Here's a wild card for you all to think about. Will the TPL insurance cover us at a private gathering?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Don't think it makes any difference, which reminds me I missed paying my subscription this year as I missed the Bring & Buy sale at Bromham.

Have to check with Martin P as to who is currently the membership secretary at the club.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Gentlemen,

As I was the one who reminded Peter I suppose I'd better attend :-))

I will be using the Camper so there will be one spare bed in it and space for two in the Awning. Only one rule; With the exception of me any snoring and you sleep under the stars :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I think after plenty of beer it could be the ,erm, unwanted nether winds that could prove more distressing and an even more cogent reason to sleep under the stars. Either that or some b****r nicked the awning.....

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
ClaraNET

The camper has two air vents in the roof and as far as my school physics went I believe hot air rises, so no problem :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

We would hope that Martin's camper remains powered by internal combustion only....

We will probably camp the night as well, may as well enjoy some of the free beer and baked spuds!

Peter

Peter A Forbes

##-----------------------------------------------## Article posted from Internal Fire Newsreader

Share your knowledge in... uk.rec.engines.stationary ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
Mike Young

Re:-Public Liablity Insurance. I am chaiman of the, Brill Vintage Preservation Society we are based in Bucks but welcome members from all over membership 10£ per year incudes Insurance for rallys. é