Alternator wiring

Its a stupid question I know but If I was to want to run a small alternator how could I wire two spotlights without constantly blowing
the Halogen bulbs ?
The easiest way is to connect the alternator to a small lead acid battery. This will give the alternator something to sense as well as providing the necessary initial field excitation. In fact, without a battery, an alternator may not give any output. Small 12 volt batteries are now cheaply available from fire and intruder alarm panels, UPS systems, etc. These applications require the batteries to be changed every 5 years when they will still have some useful life. Most maintenance companies will give you some if you ask.
John

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "The wild eye"

You need a battery for the alternator sensing wire to sense. Otherwise, the alternator will just shove out voltage until it or the bulbs go pop.
Google for "car alternator charging circuit".
--

Dave

If I recall correctly, a car alternator unregulated will churn out about 38 volts on tickover.
regards,
Kim Siddorn.
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Kim Siddorn"

Heh. In the Haynes Book of Lies for my old GSs, the recommended way to check alternator output is to disconnect the reg and hold the engine at 2000rpm, at which point the alternator should be knocking out 55V.
--

Dave

Thanks guys
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Gosh. Another UKRMer!
Chris D
--
The Deuchars. BBB#40 COFF#14
Suzuki GS550t, Yamaha XV750SE

Dave

Surely, a car engine that isn't going at the moment should be described as "sedentary" ;o))
regards,
Kim Siddorn.

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Kim Siddorn"

Or simply, 'broken'.
Actually, many years back I built gensets for a living, using the then current Lister SR and HR series amongst others. At the time I hadn't the foggiest about the history of Lister and what engines they'd made before I came across them. I'm picking it up now and have become more interested as time goes on.
I'm keeping my eye out for a CS 6/1 or similar to start me off, but to get my hand back in I may just build a genset using the diesel Golf lump I have lying around.
--

Dave

My chevy vega pushed about 130v without a regulator. Robert Provins
saying something like:

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "rprovins10"
Without any regulation it'll go up and up with speed. I'm sure I've come across some web info on how to make car alternators churn out some useful mains voltage - problem is, they're relatively high frequency, so aren't much good except for driving heating elements, tungsten lighting, etc in the raw state. Mind you; in an emergency situation, that would be quite good enough.
--

Dave