Billy goat woes.

Not a historic or collectors engine problem but never the less I
thought someone on here may have advise.
I accidentally picked up a small log in my elderly but very
effective Billy Goat leaf vacuum yesterday and it has bent one of
the blades on the rotor and damaged part of the casing. Both are
easily fixed but...
I can't get the rotor off the engine shaft. I have a large screw
puller acting onto a longer than original bolt threaded into the
shaft but it just won't budge, There is not enough room to hit
the side of the rotor and due to the mass my blowtorch does not
seem to get it hot enough to help.
Any Ideas?
Mike
Reply to
Muddymike
Likely as not it is on a taper - tighten up the puller as hard as you dare, and then give it a sharp clout with a big hammer on the end of the forcing screw which should shock it off the taper.
Regards Dan
Reply to
Dan Howden
This may be of use
Mike.H.
The impeller is not on a taper but a straight shaft plus woodruff key.The makers advise the use of two crowbars to shift a tight impeller
Reply to
Mike.H.
They have got to be kidding, either that or some SPO welded the damn thing on.
Thanks Mike, the link to the manuals is useful. I still haven't managed to get the B*st*rd off :-(
I have the puller wound up as tight as I can get it (I have even tack welded the puller legs to the rotor as they kept slipping off) and suspended the whole engine/body unit (and as much extra weight as I can pile on) by the puller whilst I drip feed it with penetrating oil. I shall leave it like this for a week and then try belting it with the lump hammer some more.
Mike
Reply to
Muddymike
"Muddymike" <
Try heating it.
Reply to
John
John,
He said he was going to Heat with a hammer in a previous posting. Sorry I will get my coat :-))
Martin P
Reply to
campingstoveman
"campingstoveman" wrote
I misread the previous posting - I read it that he couldn't heat it, but I now see that his blow torch doesn't have enough capacity.
But from my experience it normally doesn't require that much heat to free items stuck together.
Reply to
John
Trying to make a joke with you can be B****y difficult with you sometimes :-)) Heat = Hit
Martin P
Reply to
campingstoveman
I believe the Horse is quite sick, you may put down the whip :-)
ttfn Roland
Reply to
Roland Craven
"campingstoveman" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...
Indeed I have been heatin in, perhaps I need a otter ammer :-)
Mike
Reply to
Muddymike
"campingstoveman" wrote
OK - I get it!
Reply to
John
Its off :-)
I dusted down the old paraffin blowlamp, didn't have any paraffin so filled it with diesel. It worked a treat. Combining that and the gas blowtorch got the impeller much hotter and eventually it pulled off. Had to be pulled with the puller for at least 2 inches though. It's on a 3 inch long straight shaft with a keyway, slightly rusted all the way.
Now to fix it.
Mike
Reply to
Muddymike