Billy goat woes.

Not a historic or collectors engine problem but never the less I thought someone on here may have advise.

I accidentally picked up a small log in my elderly but very effective Billy Goat leaf vacuum yesterday and it has bent one of the blades on the rotor and damaged part of the casing. Both are easily fixed but...

I can't get the rotor off the engine shaft. I have a large screw puller acting onto a longer than original bolt threaded into the shaft but it just won't budge, There is not enough room to hit the side of the rotor and due to the mass my blowtorch does not seem to get it hot enough to help.

Any Ideas?

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Likely as not it is on a taper - tighten up the puller as hard as you dare, and then give it a sharp clout with a big hammer on the end of the forcing screw which should shock it off the taper.

Regards Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

Reply to
Mike.H.

Reply to
Mike.H.

Thanks Mike, the link to the manuals is useful. I still haven't managed to get the B*st*rd off :-(

I have the puller wound up as tight as I can get it (I have even tack welded the puller legs to the rotor as they kept slipping off) and suspended the whole engine/body unit (and as much extra weight as I can pile on) by the puller whilst I drip feed it with penetrating oil. I shall leave it like this for a week and then try belting it with the lump hammer some more.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

"Muddymike" <

Try heating it.

Reply to
John

John,

He said he was going to Heat with a hammer in a previous posting. Sorry I will get my coat :-))

Reply to
campingstoveman

"campingstoveman" wrote

I misread the previous posting - I read it that he couldn't heat it, but I now see that his blow torch doesn't have enough capacity.

But from my experience it normally doesn't require that much heat to free items stuck together.

Reply to
John

Trying to make a joke with you can be B****y difficult with you sometimes :-)) Heat = Hit

Reply to
campingstoveman

I believe the Horse is quite sick, you may put down the whip :-)

ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

"campingstoveman" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

Indeed I have been heatin in, perhaps I need a otter ammer :-)

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

"campingstoveman" wrote

OK - I get it!

Reply to
John

Its off :-)

I dusted down the old paraffin blowlamp, didn't have any paraffin so filled it with diesel. It worked a treat. Combining that and the gas blowtorch got the impeller much hotter and eventually it pulled off. Had to be pulled with the puller for at least 2 inches though. It's on a 3 inch long straight shaft with a keyway, slightly rusted all the way.

Now to fix it.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike