Mystery 8 cylinder marine engine

I wonder if anyone knows anything about this engine?

Rick, the owner, posted some details on the Practical Machinist forum which I hang around.

Here is what he wrote about it:

"This is an inboard not an outboard. It mounts through the hull of the boat and has a tractor lower unit ( puller not pusher )and the power heard is only 16 inches high and 32 inches across and total weight app 225 pounds. The engine would have been below deck or under a canvas cover so we can forget wind drag. I believe it was built to run in the old 151 inboard class , late 20s early 30s as it displaces 148 cubic inches.It came with two sets of carbs Zeniths and Windfields. Each bank of cylinders has a Mallory distributer driven ff the top of the cam and an oil pump driven off the bottom. No plugs came with it and the holes are larger than 14mm and smaller than 18mm and long reach ? Bevel driven cam off the center of the crank, roller tipped rockers and 10, count them, leaf springs for each set of valves.Dry sump block with the oil contained in the lower unit for filtration and cooling. No name or casting numbers anywhere except on the beamed rods and the rocker arms,looks like a trade mark an arrowhead with a D and a number in the middle.

In years of searching I have only found two references of motors using leaf springs. A 1906 Woosley and unknown WW1 aircraft engine. I have sent pictures to ever major museum and contacted various engine builders, marine architects, authors, racers etc no luck.Maybe through word of mouth and the internet someone will come up with something. All collectors want something no one else has but after all these years I would certainly love to know who built it.Any help will certainly be appreciated and I hope all that look at it appreciate as I do all the innovative ideas incorporated in one engine. Enjoy."

Reply to
Peter Short