bore glazing

Another little query, I advised a chap on another newsgroup that running a diesel at high idle, genset on light load, cause bore glazing.

He was not aware of the problem and has asked what the problem was.

I was going to answer that it was the light load that prevented the ring bedding in, subsequently oil got past the rings one way, increasing oil consumption, and combustion gases went past the other way, losing performance and damaging ring and pistons as well as contaminating the oil.

I decide to ask here again as I am still not sure of the mechanism that causes the glazing.

AJH

Reply to
sylva