Using o rings

What grade of O ring do you guys recommend for a model steam locomotive which has gunmetal cylinders and are they capable of withstanding super heated steam and cylinder oil ? Ikie

Reply to
Ikie Cabolacov

Dad's Virginia was fitted with silicone O rings on the pistons. (Gunmetal/Superheater and Cyl oil as you describe .) The engine was completed in 1971 and used until about '78. I put it back into service

2005. The original rings are still in there and don't leak.

I have looked at O ring data on the net in the recent past and noticed that the fluoro polymer (Viton) rings look better suited to the temperature/conditions described. Here is a link to look for yourself

I'm someone of better professional knowledge will help out here.

Steve (Sheffield)

Reply to
Steve

I'm not a steamer, but I learned that they all prefer the Viton rings.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

In article , Steve writes

Steve, please don't top post, it makes it difficult to follow the discussion of it gets complicated.

From what I have seen and am told, Viton works well in IC engines, and will stand very high compression forces. I have never used it in steam engines, but from the (very useful) web site you quoted it would seem to be about the worst choice for steam.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

I used silicone for years at 220 deg C in molten epoxy. Good stuff. Viton is good for some things, don't use around bases. EPDM is good for steam, bases, not many hydrocarbons. The best refererence I have for o-rings is now available on the web,

Compatibility tables are in Section VII, beginning on page 163.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Thanks guys I owe you one. My father in law is not computer literate and uses me as his research tool. :o) I don't think I would of found it on my own. Ikie

Reply to
Ikie Cabolacov