Completely O/T, RR engined car

Just thought I would throw in that there was a 1929 Bentley with a Napier Lion engine in it down at the Goodwood revival meeting. Thats a three bank 24 litre V12 (three banks of four). Although I got to look all over it, I didn't hear it run (straight pipes too). They had a race for Brooklands cars and it was raced in that. It must have been awesome when they fired that up right next to you in the pits.

Didn't they ever use these engines for generators, or some other excuse to get one to a stationary engine rally ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

To hell with an excuse. If anyone wants to bring (and run) one of these cars to a SE rally, I will be the last to complain.

John

Reply to
John

One of our club members used to work in a garage (I think) and they were offered TWO crated Lions in the 1950's. Despite considerable efforts, no home could be found for them & they were stripped for the ali scrap.

He retained a piston as a memento & has it still.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

This one just gets better. Have another look at the ad. The seller's added a section about RR aero engines quoting their huge power outputs. He recons that's why the fan on this car is wired on! The comparison continues to boast that this car will out accelerate an E type Jaguar as the E type's engine is only a little over two litres. You just can't tell some folks anything. John

Reply to
John

Did you notice the changed bidders information?

"As online shopping evolves, eBay continues to focus on preserving our marketplace's open and level playingfield whilst protecting our Community of members. We have decided to change how bid history information is displayed so unscrupulous people cannot target bidders with fake offers using this information. In certain cases, some bidders will no longer be able to see other bidder's User IDs on the listing page. Your User ID will be shown only to you and the seller of the item you're bidding on. Other members will see an anonymous name, such as Bidder 1, Bidder 2 etc."

First time I have seen that, hopefully it will only be on Ebay Motors and not generally, as that was useful to track shill bidders in particular.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Peter,

Another friend of mine, yes I do have more than two, spotted it on a tooling site. Anybody over £100 will disappear.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

That's pretty stupid, you lose the ability to track shill bidders and other dorks. That will not be a good move for ebay.

I have emailed ebay customer services with my thoughts...

Peter

Peter A Forbes

You can click on the right-hand column and see the bidder's details, date on ebay and how much of his/her bids are with this seller. Not as good as the old method, but I can see that it will take a while to learn to interpret how to fathom it all out.

I much prefer details out in the open where everyone can see them.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

It looks like everyone dissapears after the bidding exceeds =A3100

John

Reply to
John

"Peter A Forbes" wrote

Hmm, interesting. Seems to hold for completed auctions as well - I just checked an item on which I bid recently and could only see my own ID in 'clear'. Shame, I like to research my rival bidders a bit, particularly to see if they are noted snipers, and adjust my bidding behaviour to suit (using no more than a clock and trembling finger I hasten to add).

Reply to
Nick H

Ebay cars does seem to attract them, Have a look at this item:-

And then at the links mentioned in my 'helpful' question to the vendor which he curiously decided not to append to the listing:-

"you might be interested to look at the rather more comprehensive description of this very pretty little car when it was last offered on ebay - see item 150040375055. There is also some information Re. its building on the classic car quest website here :-

good luck with your sale."

I wonder if he was the purchaser in the first sale? If so and the vehicle does realise the "thousands" he clearly expects, I hope the Bolton Hospice gets a cut

Reply to
Nick H

His ignorant attitude will sell it, not :-))

Martin P

campingstoveman

If it was a real 1927 car it would be worth thousands. As a replica, it certainly looks very well built and would fool many. However, it has never been registered so would have to be tested as a kit car. That's a test it will fail without some modification, probably taking it out of character. It then becomes a simple kit car worth hundreds at most, a few thousand at best. The alternative is not being able to use it on the road. With that restriction it's unfortunately worth very little.

John

Reply to
John

That chap sounds rather disingenuous IMHO.

This is a reply to a question:

''At this price I am just the cleaner though Rolls Royce has little now to do with wars''

Does anyone know what he means? I'm baffled. To me he sounds like Tony Blair at question time - the mouth moves but little of value emerges. Check some the other curious stuff written about the pianos he has FS - I know a little bit about grands and there is some real waffle. (to be polite!)

I can't see how the car would be worth much more than the value of that engine or engine parts, Or scrap at about £150/ton.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

"John" wrote (snip):-

Got it in one! The replica may well be better engineered than its prototype (slippy primary drive excepted) but SVA? - no way Pedro! So to imply it could be used as a road vehicle without major modifications is misleading at best.

Reply to
Nick H

As a consequence of the showfield now being classed as the public highway, vehicles should be RTA insured and display a current vehicle excise licence. If the vehicle has never had an SVA test, it could not be registered, therefore it could not be licenced. Would he get insurance cover for a vehicle which has no MOT or SVA test? As a result of these changes, and taking the law to it's extreme, he would not be able to drive it. Organisers of events now have to tread more carefully with regards to checking insurances, otherwise they could be held to account in the event of an accident. Is this why he is selling it?

Somehow, displaying the vehicle on a trailer would not be quite the same!

Regards, DJC

Reply to
D.J.Carter

I met a person of his ilk this morning and boy, did he misjudge his customer! Instead of leaving me to look over the car in peace, he followed me round it yabbering away & busily exhibited his complete lack of mechanical knowledge.

Upon starting - the car was untaxed but the coolant was warm - he revved it flat out two or three times

"Nothing wrong with that, is there?" Well, there wasn't before .............

When I stepped back to look at the door and panel lines, he jumped in front of me, opened the door & pointed out the vile colours of the seat cloth.

I gave up in the end & went to look at another car instead.

This character has an amusing toy car - for it isn't even a model, any more than the current batch of ME262's in production in the USA are anything other than VISUAL copies of the real thing. A real replica would never be passed for flight now.

I'd not thought that he can't drive it anywhere that is a Place of Public Resort and that makes it even more useless!

I wonder what it'll fetch ...........

Regards,

Kim

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

The seller ended the auction early "because of an error in the listing".

No sh*t Sherlock!

Mark

Reply to
Mark Howard

Ah but think of the hours of enjoyment and amusement he's given us all. I'm almost sorry to see it disapear.

John

Reply to
John

Gone is it? Well, well - we often say that eBay doesn't listen, but perhaps in this case they did ...........

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn