Dead kawasaki generator

My 2300 Kawasaki generator, which I run on propane gas on the odd occasions that I use it, is electrically dead! The engine part will still run OK, but there is no life evident on the 240v or 12v output side. Last time I used it, it was fine, suggesting a simple fault/bad connection somewhere.

I have lost faith in the local agent, who after faffing for three weeks, declares that it needs something called an ADI unit, at a cost of =A3240. He did however tell me something I didn't know, which is that it will also run on petrol.

Can any generator experts tell me what to look for in diagnosing the fault myself?

Reply to
Homer2911

Homer

ADI stands for alternator-driven ignition, and if the engine runs I suspect the ADI itself is OK, although depending on model the ADI unit may also contain the AVR (voltage regulator) and/or rectifier which might well be the problem. By all means check for bad connections; trace out the excitation (LT) circuit in particular, if you're lucky there will be a schematic in the back of your user manual. I presume it's a standard brushless alt; the windings in those are very reliable. However if you have a black-box fault the symptom will most likely be as you describe, working one day and dead the next.

HTH Lucien

I have lost faith in the local agent, who after faffing for three weeks, declares that it needs something called an ADI unit, at a cost of £240. He did however tell me something I didn't know, which is that it will also run on petrol.

Can any generator experts tell me what to look for in diagnosing the fault myself?

Reply to
Lucien Nunes

Hi,

I have worked on a number of different portable gasoline generators and there could be as many reasons as there are different ways of making the things.

If it has brushes check the slip rings as these can oxidize over and prevent the field brushes from making an electrical contact. It could also be stuck brushes.

If it has capacitors for voltage regulation, then check them for shorting or open circuit. Try and get a similar size and voltage to test with.

Look for broken or corroded terminals throughout the unit.

It might have lost its excitation magentism and need reflashing. 12 volts DC across the field for a split second or on the output leads might bring it back to life. If there is a field winding, you will need to work out the polarity as flashing with the wrong polarity could fry a regulator etc.

Good luck!

Regards,

Chris >My 2300 Kawasaki generator, which I run on propane gas on the odd

Reply to
Chris