Deltic that failed to sell on ebay

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email Address: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web Pages for Engine Preservation:

Peter A Forbes

So the NYFD had spare engines for their big pumpers..

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Which Deltics had air starters ? I thought they were all Coffman cartridges ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Only the early Deltics had Coffman starters, then they went to air, but the Plessey made Coffman style starter was offered as an alternative. Some gensets used a starter winding.

As this engine was to mounted in a fire appliance, air would have been the logical medium.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email Address: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web Pages for Engine Preservation:

Peter A Forbes

I think you will find they were all air-start, you would need some huge cartridge for a Deltic.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email Address: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web Pages for Engine Preservation:

Peter A Forbes

They used multi-breech units, both the Coffman & Plessey starters.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Apparently they used "Gypsy's Breath" in cold weather - I quote

"In cold weather the starting aid should be used as follows : Start Pilot System MK I. Insert capsules into starting air pump units, and operate the pump 3 to 4 strokes.

Start Pilot System MK II. Operate this revised system in accordance with the instructions contained in the "Deltic Maintenance Manual," Publication

505, article 6.2.

Warning! THE FLUID USED IN THE STARTING AID SYSTEM IS HIGHLY INFLAMMABLE. "

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn