Drilling spring steel

G'day

I am looking for some practical advice.

I wish to modify a 3/8" thick spring leaf by drilling a 1/4" hole through it.

Any ideas?

regards

Ian Donaldson

Reply to
Ian Donaldson

Carbide drill bit?? A cement drill is the poor man's version ( relatively high speed). It works on hardened set screws. Randy

I am looking for some practical advice.

I wish to modify a 3/8" thick spring leaf by drilling a 1/4" hole through it.

Any ideas?

regards

Ian Donaldson

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

Have you seen the drills advertised that are supposed to drill anything? They look like masonary bits and are quite cheap. They actually work well. The technique (despite the makers claim to the contrary) is to use NO coolant or lube, lots of speed and push hard. It sounds brutal and actually is. The drill heats the metal until it's soft then drills through it. I've seen swarf coming off incandescent. You can see them at the larger shows drilling files, hacksaw blades and bearing races. Don't confuse these with masonary drills. Their tips are held on with low temperature braze and will fall off if you try this. These tips are held on with a higher temp resisting stuff. Not sure quite what though. They've got me out of trouble in the past and I now keep a set in the w/shop.

Reply to
John

G'day

Thanks for the responses regarding drill bits.

There is a show coming up near here soon and I will go and have a look. I had seen them but always thought that it was a "con" job and never took much notice!

Regards

Ian Donaldson