Exhausting

Can anyone help.

I have a Bristol 10 which has been added to my ever growing collection.

To take a look paste the following link

It is now up and running but only has a straight thru pipe(1 1/4inch) on it.

A tad noisey one would say.

I am looking for a silencer to go on it. I thought a mini or triumph back box might help.

It can be hidden underneath so it would not be seen unless you really look.

I realise I might need to change the pipe to something larger but can only go to 1 5/8inch due to the space between the chassis rail and engine.

Can anyone advise or would I be wasting my time.

Many thanks in advance.

Richard

P.S. It has a 1125cc Austin 10 industrial engine.

Reply to
dikster

We have some Onan generator silencers and flexi pipes on ebay, look for stuff under user name 'listerdiesel',

Silencers have screwed ends and a drain plug to take out condensation.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Prepair Ltd

What a fortuitous posting. Having fired up the small (chinese, diesel) genset the other day it was decided it is rather noisy and hauling it outside is a bit of chore and if the weather is bad (gales, snow, rain etc) the electrics might object. So I was thinking of making a permanent space in the garage for it and piping the exhaust out through a hole in the wall and possibly through another silencer.

So would one of these Onan silencers be OK on a diesel of similar cubic capacity but running at 3000rpm?

How flexi is the flexi pipe? The current exhaust is on the back side of the generator that would be up against the wall. I'd probably run it along the wall a bit before exiting in a sort of S shape to enable the pipe to be attached and then bend as the genset is pushed back.

How long, both the bit on the silencer and the extensions? What is the internal bore, the current silencer has a short stubby pipe 31.5mm in dia for the outlet. I think the hardest part of this excercise is going to be fixing onto that...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The short bit on the silencer is about 500mm long or so, the extensions are

2metres approx.

They are flexible in that you can bend them, but not 'wobbly' flexible if you know what I mean... :-))

Pipe threads look like 1" BSP, but the extension and engine connections are sleeves and not threaded.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Prepair Ltd

I would look for a silencer from an engine of similar power, capacity and number of cylinders. There's very few cars with 1.25" exhausts these days. A wander around a classic car show may help. ISTR the 850 Mini and possibly the 998 version had 1.25" exhausts. You could also look at A30 or A35 and early spridgets. You could also make your own with a few pices of nested pipe arranged so the gas is forced to flow back and forth a few times.

John

Reply to
John

The reliant robin would be a good place to look.

Reply to
crn

For easy of mounting size, the Hillman Imp (not the sports version...) exhaust box could well be a good place to start.

Reply to
:Jerry:

An update to this posting.

In the end I purchased a new one piece exhaust for a mini 1.25" with two in line silencers.

Has now been cut up to make an exhaust to fit the Bristol 10.

What a transformation in noise. Now no fear in annoying my neighbours

All the pipe, two silencers and a couple of hours cutting and welding all for =A325.

Dikster

P.S. Before anyone asks, no it does not sound like a mini

Reply to
dikster

That's a shame

John Mini 1400cc, S head, 2 x 1 3/4" SU's, LCB, 3/4 race cam + other bells & whistles.

Reply to
John