Files folder, as on other egroups

Is it me, or is there no files folder attached to this group?

Colin

Reply to
Colin

There is no folder or drop-box, Colin, never has been, as most of us have our own storage on-line.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Thanks, Peter. Some of the egroups I use have several hundred files, & it's helpful to get them from a central repository. Also beats the problem of disappearing pix or FTP URL's!

Colin

Reply to
Colin

This is a newsgroup not some painfully slow web based "phorum".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That was said with feeling, Dave!

When I used to use the Pipex news server I had the same irritating slowness every time. I do recognise what you say about web forums though. Having said that, they allow picture uploading, which can help make them more interesting.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

every time. I do recognise what you say

can help make them more interesting.

Hi Guys, If you wish to post pictures get the free version of webshots or try ImageShack

told me about this free service so I am just trying it out. This is a picture I took at Fred Dibnah's funeral & posted to ImageShack.
seems to work OK.

-- Dave Croft Warrington

Dave Croft

"Dave Liquorice" wrote

I think a lot of people don't understand the distinction between web based e-groups, forums, discussion boards - call them what you will - and Usenet based newsgroups. I know I didn't when I first found this group (through a web based portal) and I'm not sure I could explain it particularly coherently now!

Reply to
Nick H

"not some painfully slow web based "phorum".

Had a very helpful offline reply on Usenet etc. Did make me think about which I prefer.

I lurk on 20 or so fora, many of which have large numbers of posts. Most are on Yahoo or Google. They mostly have areas for significant file libraries, pix, manuals etc. They are often very poor if used one message at a time -- I couldn't handle the volume, & some use advertising which slows the action down.

I monitor them all with daily (or every 25 message) digests. These all have opening indices, which tell you pretty well which mails are of interest. Digests also kill off the advertising problem. I have them all downloaded direct into Outlook, & it takes me

15 or 20 minutes to skim them (50 digests a day) for gems. Easy to archive for later searching.

Some of the larger forums have several hundred active posters, & very large backup centralised databases of literature etc. Must confess I would love to easily browse masses of engine pix, catalogue listings etc!

Probably the best example I know of a very active forum with large collective files donated by members is the AJS & Matchless owners forum. Has many maintenance & user manuals, by model & year; piles of manufacturers ads; technical articles; pix etc etc -- many Gb in total.

I've no axe to grind -- was just curious if we're missing out in terms of easy sharing of knowledge & experience amongst this gang.

Colin

Reply to
Colin

Well with justification I can scroll through a list of messages, click on one and it's there before you can blink, find it's boring switch back to the list and again instantly. No waiting for some slow remote, server to work out what I want, then redrawing of the whole screen for each action in pretty colours...

Most ISPs offer free web space so I don't see that as an issue.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice