First Rally (long)

Arthur,

To make a good gasket from nothing you need a good ball peen hammer, cut the material roughly to size and place on the surface that you require the gasket for. Hold in place with one hand and carefully tap the gasket with the ball of the hammer against the casting and it will in time cut through. When you get to a hole tap round the hole until cut. I have used this method for years and if careful you can cut shim by the same method.

Martin P

The engine has a lot of good running history

anything else. I hear what you're saying about

pretty sure its the gasket. The faces look pretty

checked, the hot-bulb is not so easy and would

nicely. How do you cut a material like that

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Thanks Martin, I am aware of this method, but was wondering how to cut Kim's high-tech composite gasket with stainless steel mesh.

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

Actually, Martin might have a point. The point loading on the ball pene is very high and although ductile, stainless fine mesh could be cut this way. Of course, it means doing it three times, with each one then being slightly different .................

Naaaa, MDF clamping blocks!

Regards,

Kim

Kim's high-tech composite gasket with stainless

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Kim, I concur with your conclusion. I wouldn't want to assault cast iron with stainless steel, especially on my dearly beloved S type. SS is certainly much harder to machine than CI, so I think my nice casting might be a little frayed around the edges if I were bashing it with SS. Can you suggest a source for this mesh ? Its not the sort of thing I come across every day.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

Arthur,

I work with stainless all the time, what sort of gauge and mesh size are you looking for, I will ask our suppliers if they have any odd bits for gratis.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman