Flame Licker engine ex Ebay.

The engine I bought on Ebay recently has responded to a couple of hours of cleaning and oiling.

Tonight I managed to get it to run for about three minutes on a burner from an oil lamp and meths. It seemed to be very happy until I started to alter settings (we all do it don't we).

I haven't managed to repeat it yet but I think I know what direction to go in now.

The 'original engine sounds' referred to in the available literature consists of a whistle which can be adjusted by screwing it in and out to give different tones so produced a 'chuffing' sound which is more like a hot fog noise than an engine noise.

Thanks to Nick H and Dave for their encouragement.

Reply to
George Hendry

Hooray! Good news to end the day on.

Reply to
Nick Highfield

Hi George, I thought I told you the secret of fuel for the Hot air Engine. They start fine on Meths. They run fine on Paraffin. The secret is to use a mixture of both so that it starts & runs on the mixture. Unfortunately it is so long since I did it that I have forgotten the proportions & I am in the same position as you!

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Map
Map

Dave Croft

Dave

I think that the rate at which the wick transfers the burning fluid is critical as it appears that the flame has to be strong. I have noticed that I can now get it to run for a couple of minutes and it then blows the flame out after which I have to wait for several minutes for the wick to soak again before it will maintain a flame.

I will now get some paraffin tomorrow and se if that makes a difference.

I find it quite amusing to be able to run my hobby on the coffee table (Until the wife gets better and strong enough to stop me)

In message , Dave Croft writes

Reply to
George Hendry

I feel inspired to exhume my Bruce Engineering vacuum engine

's not the worlds finest piece of design, the screws which lock the valve lifting arms on to the cross shaft have to be done up far too tight if it is not to slip, and it was stripping of these threads which resulted in it being put to one side some years ago. I have already mentally redesigned it to incorporate split clamps in this position but, as ever, round tuits are in short supply!

Reply to
Nick Highfield

I found with "Poppin" that I had to offset the flame a little from the port to prevent the exhaust gas from blowing out the flame. This meant that the flame had to be large enough to envelope the port even though it was now slightly below it.

I found that metho gave a much cleaner and nicer smelling flame than kero (paraffin) or any mixture thereof.

I also found that my original wick, (snipped off my pyjama cord!) contained rayon or some such synthetic and was not as effective as a cotton wick and burnt smokily and left traces of an unpleasant residue. I eventually found a "proper" piece of wick at a camping shop.

JW² in Oz Norton AntiVirus 2003 installed

Reply to
Jack Watson