Generator wiring

That anwer was a reply to dave who asked if I had tried to google for info . He also asked "what is that little blue button at the bottom "

The little blue button at the bottom of the spec plate is labelled "Excitation socket " why it is there I dont know because the generator did not need any input volts to make it generate .

I have been out this evening and altered the wiring as your directions and I now have got 240v at each socket .

At the moment the safety aspect of there being 240 volts at a yellow socket is not an issue . The Generator will only ever be used by me so I will know not to connect any 110 volt equipment to it However if at any time I relinquish ownership of it I will put it back to 110 volts .

Steve

Reply to
The wild eye

As it now stands, you have it wired as such that you have 110v-N-110v - i.e. a floating neutral. For using power tools and the like, 'on location' this is fine, and reasonably safe, and does NOT require use of an earth stake. However, an RCD will not correctly work if used, as it has no earth reference.

If you wish to use the machine more in anger, and for reference if you come across larger gens used onsite for instance, with RCD's they should ALWAYS have the N and E coupled, a sticker saying so present, and an earth rod MUST be used.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

replying to Tim.., Genme1 wrote: well that's just answered the question i was going to ask i have a b&s 5hp with a 1.5 kva gen on it was not working when i got it so have been working on it when i tuck the front off the dg power point the N was wired to the Earth was not sure if this was right but now sounds like it should be

Reply to
Genme1

replying to andy G, Genme1 wrote: this may help

Genme1