Wiring Diagram for Gas Hung Heater

I've got a Dayton gas heater. I had the repair guy come out last night to light the pilot light (well, to figure out _why_ the pilot light
wasn't coming on).
After we got the pilot light sorted (it was clogged) we fired the thing up and determined that the fan switch isn't working. So, I went out today and got a new fan switch, and replaced the old one.
It _still_ doesn't work, but I can hear a distinct "click" from the heater when the fan switch _should_ be working. But the fan doesn't come on until the limit switch engages and turns the gas off. So I suspect that my new fan switch is working just fine, but there's something else wrong with the unit.
Given that the former owner of the property would have enthusiastically torn into this thing either to fix it or "improve" it, I can't count on things just being broken -- I have to accept the fact that things may be put together wrong, etc.
So -- my Google Fu completely failed me in turning up a service manual or schematic for this thing. Can anyone point me to a wiring diagram? Failing that, can anyone give me a rundown on how these things go together, where to find the limit switch, and that sort of nifty stuff?
Am I correct in assuming that if I identify the 120V wires across the fan switch and simply short them out, that the fan should come on? For that matter, I assume that with the fan _off_ I should see 120V across the appropriate terminals of the fan switch? (I'm suspecting broken or incorrect wiring here, which is why I'm asking these questions).
Thanks in advance.
Does the limit switch have open terminal? Sounds like the fan is wired to high cut off, rather than wired to fan.
[...]

night

thing

come

else

enthusiastically

on

be

or

stuff?

fan

that

High limit cut off is supposed to turn off the burner. This is a safety design. Normally, a high limit cut off will never get used. Only if the fan is not running for some reason.
Fan comes on, at a lower setting. This is how the furnace operates, normally.
We sure learned different information. Me, I think you're mistaken.

The fan is SUPPOSED to come on if the high limit cut off activates.
On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 17:32:52 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:
(top posting fixed)

I saw in your other post, that dissemble and clean did the job. From what you wrote, sounded a bit like it was wired wrong. In any case, glad you managed to get it going for now. Hope it stayed fixed.
(bottom posting fixed)
behavior.

Does the fan actually run when you put power to it?

The limit switch also turns the fan on , and it's temperature-adjustable . Look for little adjustable pointers on the face that rotates ... one's for the fan , one's for gas valve hi temp cutoff . It could also be the relay that powers the fan , which is energized by the limit switch .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
Tim Wescott wrote:

Dayton is a house brand for Grainger's. See if they still have the manual on file.
On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 16:42:32 -0500, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I couldn't find it on their web page. Suggestions?
Tim Wescott wrote:

Email? Snail mail? Phone call? They have very little tech data on their website.

night

thing

enthusiastically

on

may

manual

diagram?

stuff?

the

For

across

or

the

It could very well be a re-badged intertherm, which if I recall is the same as coleman, york, luxaire and probably a few other brand names.
I think Luxaire may still have pretty good documentation online.

night

thing

come

else

enthusiastically

on

be

or

stuff?

fan

that

Check the flame sensor.

Calls for heat flame comes on high limit turns flame off fan comes on
And you suggest to check the flame sensor? I think we view things differently.

Check the flame sensor.
On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 13:47:33 -0800, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

I dunno if there is one -- I'm told the fan switch is a time delay gizmo.
Tim Wescott wrote:

That would mean it gets power when the flame comes on The delay is so that it warms up some and doesn't blow cold air.
There can't be a lot involved in wiring the switch to fan. Check for continuity and power.
-jim

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 17:42:00 -0600, jim wrote:

Yea, I think it's down to that. I really prefer to have a schematic. Even if it's wrong, if it's Official it makes me feel better -- kind of like having my favorite blanky, I guess.

night

light

thing

out

the

doesn't

enthusiastically

count on

may

manual

diagram?

stuff?

the

For

across

broken or

gizmo.

Generally that's accomplished either with a timer, or by a second thermodisc ( klixon) that's mounted next to the high limit one on the heat exchanger.

night

thing

enthusiastically

on

may

manual

diagram?

stuff?

the

For

across

or

gizmo.

If the flame stays lit till the exchanger overheats then the flame sensor is okay.
There may be a second Klixon to delay the fan till the exchanger warms up.
As long as your high limit is killing the gas like it should then you should be able to get by until you properly troubleshoot the unit by forcing the fan to operate by jumpering connecting G to W
Just beware that if you do this, the burner will also operate if you turn the thermostat to "fan only"

night

thing

come

else