Carpal

Anyone had it? Had the surgery? Mine is getting bad, and I need to go. What to expect?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Throw your mouse away, get a trackball for all your computers, and maybe a wrist rest, too. I do a lot of CAD work, and get a death grip on the mouse to keep it from moving while I place a line and click the button. The trackball prevents that problem, you take your fingers off the ball, and nothing moves when you click the button.

I can also feel some carpal tunnel sort of thing when driving for a long time, I have to keep moving my hand on the wheel every minute or I get that tingling.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Second that.. it solved my problem, and I spend a LOT of time at the computer. I use the Logitec Trackman wheel. As a plus, it makes it harder for anyone else to use my computer. I wore a brace from the drug store for a while, it got better and has never returned. That was

10 years ago.
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Gunner, Logitec Trackman Marble Wheel

  1. Lie
Gunner

Ive tried this one a couple times. Its interesting as you can sit with your hand in your lap and "twiddle"

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

$135...you are right..they arent cheap....

  1. Lie
Gunner

Those are ABSOLUTELY WRONG for me. The ball on top still stressed the shit out of my wrist. Thumb-moved balls are the only way to go. Logitech

lets your hand rest on the body with no stress. The thumb moves the trackball easily and smoothly while the fingers are free to spin the wheel or click the buttons without lifting much from the body. Regular trackballs didn't alleviate my wrist pain _at_all_ because the entire hand (or the entire arm, stressing the right trapezius muscle) had to be lifted to move the ball.

A digitizing tablet with a stylus is another possible way to go.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I tried one and then gave it to my sister. I had to put it down to go to the keyboard to type, and then a button or two inadvertently got hit when picking it back up. That was less than elegant. ;)

But I can put the M570 (see pic on last post) on my chest or lap and twiddle from there, so it's perfect for me. I'd like to find another used one, cheap.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I hope you wernt replying to me. My trackball is under my right thumb. Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

I find trackballs with some regularity. Ill look for one for you.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Danke mucho, monsieur.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

da nada sperza Herr Jaques

  1. Lie
Gunner

They're worth every penny. $135 is chump change compared to visits to the Dr over and over again while they try all sorts of ramdom stuff before suggesting unneccesary sugery.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

It's known as CTS in the advanced stages.. otherwise it may be mistaken for tendonitis or other problem.

Anyone who works with their hands (hard pulling/pushing on wrenches, etc, as opposed to making a cup of coffee for example) will know when CTS gets severe.

I was diagnosed with CTS years ago, and imediate surgery was recommended (she was ready to call to schedule it). I was diagnosed with a specific piece of medical equipment (nerve conduction tests, maybe) where small wire probes are inserted in the skin of the forearm and hand and zapped with a mild pulse (mild to me, others claim that it's the worst kind of pain they've ever felt). I abruptly declined surgery as I would have anyway, even if I didn't already know 4 men that had gone the surgical route and gotten no pain relief or gain in function of their hands.

I went to physical therapy, where I received numerous ultrasonic massage/stimulation? treatments in the area of both wrists. A transducer similar to the kinds used in ultrasonic cleaners or fish-finders is gently worked around the damage area, sensed as creating mild heat deep in the tissues. The Dr. had ordered a very high intensity level on the machine for the therapy, although the very sexy PT commented that it was risky to do at that level, so she performed the therapy at lower intensity levels. She was sooo gorgeous, an SRU student, IIRC.

My severe pain gradually subsided although I still encountered occassional finger cramping and diminished range of motion (or fingers would sometimes just not respond).

A while later I started taking fish oil softgels, and the symptoms have all but completely disappeared. Only rarely do I feel discomfort in my fingers. I would sometimes run out of the f-o for a couple days, and the symptoms with the fingers did return. I take the fish oil every day now without fail.. about 4000mg daily for me. Apparently, I was experiencing CTS.. but it doesn't just go away.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

"Wild_Bill" wrote in news:YBcTs.419801$OJ2.80061 @en-nntp-11.dc1.easynews.com:

[...]

Well, yes, it *does* "just go away" -- if you have the surgery. That's what the surgery is for.

I had mine about 9 years ago, and the tingling sensations vanished immediately and have yet to return -- and the range of motion continues to increase.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Get a warm wool sock and cut the foot part off, ie below the ankle. Take the remainder & put it on your right wrist. You'll be happy just like the accountants & clerks of a hundred or two years ago - hopefully.

Hul

Steve B wrote:

Reply to
dbr