Itchy/red eyes after O/A brazing refrigeration pipe. POE oil? Long

I am a refrigeration service tech and have been having itchy and red eyes off and on since the phase out of older refrigerants and usage of the newer ones with POE and Alkybenzine based oils (the last 10-15 years). In the last month or so it has reached an alltime high to the point of a visine bottle is kept close by. It is always in repair work and I think the POE systems are the worst. The oil saturates the tubing and then smokes ect. after the torch is applied. I am doing everything I can, I.E. goggles, keep my face back away from the fumes and mist etc. but still have red eyes as if an arc welding flash. I have been in the field 26 years and for years used prestolite (acetylene and open air tip or swirl tip) without goggles or anything. Never had a severe problem until recently. Now have white blisters under eyelid and have eye appointment monday @ 8am. Just curious if anyone here has heard or experienced anything like this. FWIW I recently went to the eye doc and had 20/20 vision. Not too shabby for 45 years old. That is why I am posting, I would like to preserve my vision if possible. :-) TIA Lyndell

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson

Remember you are using a blue flame - the wavelength is very short. It can give a radiation burn while the reddish gives a heating burn.

You might also have problems with the acids and other chemicals that are generated in the gas line of the refrigeration machines.

Get professional help. Your eye doctor might be able to provide more research - some are not allowed.

Mart> I am a refrigeration service tech and have been having itchy and red eyes

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Aside from seeing what the eye doctor thinks, it sounds like you should be trying both goggles/mask (shade 4 or 5, say?) and a fume extractor and/or fresh air blower. If you are already using (filtered gas-welding type?) goggles, then the fume control/fresh air supply would be the next step.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Update: Eye doc says I have concremated mass behind eyelids (the white spots {blisters was poor choice of word-they don't hurt}I mentioned. He says they are harmless but can irritate the eye. Vision still 20/20. He gave me some drops to try to reduce the spots. He will only remove them if I can't tolerate the irritation. He says I am not getting a flash (so to speak) cuz it clears up to fast. Sometimes it is gone in an hour sometimes longer due to environment ect. For example: if I am working in a onion processing plant. I am definitely researching better airflow in my brazing space and some type of goggles that minimize fumes to the eye. Doc says the same as you guys......... stay safe. Thanks to all of you. All of your input in being considered. Lyndell

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson

Onion plant? Been to El Toro?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Can't say that I have been to El Toro. There is a packing plant in Bardstown Ky that does truckloads of them. Not a dry eye in the plant. :-) Lyndell

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Lyndell

de quoted text -

This site gives the appropriate color of lens for different operations.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

Thanks for the link! Lyndell

This site gives the appropriate color of lens for different operations.

dennis in nca

Reply to
Lyndell

So you lie on your back under a refrigerated work top brazing up pipes. So how about a portable extractor fanunit. ie a long 3in flexibe pipe light weight type on the outlet of say a

600cfmin extractor fan. A similar piece of pipe in the extractor fan inlet, with a big clip ythat you can place withinn say 3 in of the point your brazing. then switch it on, it will suck all the fumes away from you and push them out side of your working area, As youe enployed, its your boss's responsibility to ensure safe working practices and provide youn with the tools to do this. This type of extractor is standard for lots of fixed ie permanent welding stations. You just need a portable cersion of the same thing.
Reply to
Ted Frater

That is a great idea! I have fan motors and fan blades galore. I will find a piece of pipe and give it a go. Thanks Lyndell

Yes.

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson