Haddenham Rally

Should be there Sat (as paying visitor). Wish it was the one near Aylesbury, I could do with a weekend where I wasn't driving a couple of hundred miles!

Reply to
Nick Highfield

Looks like we are set to go over to the Haddenham rally, assuming it is the Cambs one, not Bucks...

By a happy chance we have to see someone at nearby Colne to collect some instruments for upcountry shipping some time, so fairly convenient for a change.

Martin Perman is going, anyone else ? Dan ?

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

A good do, plenty to look at and a nice friendly atmosphere. Met Martin P. who is now one of the few on this NG who can vouch for my existence (I like to keep my head down you know!).

When we arrived there was an Alco Featherweight (all ally, right down (up?) to the rocker cover Kim) for sale outside one of the tents, I walked away muttering to myself "I do not want an Alco, I do not want an Alco". Fortunately when we passed that way again it had gone, saving me from scratching that particular itch!

Reply to
Nick Highfield

On our second circuit that Alco was being worked on by three guys up around where John & Pete were.

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

Three big guys on to one little engine - unfair!

BTW, reason for my comment on ally content, is that Kim, John Graham and myself have been comparing notes and it appears that not all of these engines were created equal. The timing cover, cowling and rocker cover were supplied in cast iron or ally seemingly at random - perhaps it depended whether the local scrap drives had turned up aluminium pots and pans or iron railings that week!

Reply to
Nick Highfield

The remnants that we have are all in ali except the barrel and head IIRC.

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

You are quite right Peter, my other mate, Rob Vince (the one with the Petter M next to my Fuller) bought it. It seems he wants to keep his options open if he is ever without his Discovery. The three guys were John, myself and Rob. It took us around an hour to strip and clean the mag, plug etc. and fire it up. At first, we thought it had never been run as inside the rocker cover was squeaky clean, fresh oil and the rockers etc looked brand new. It also still had some original paint on the exhaust but the points were pitted so it had done some work. Another guy on the engine line upon seeing this, brought his Alco complete with original generator with him on Sunday and that proved as difficult to start as Rob's did........

Reply to
Pete Aldous

Meant to have asked in my last post for any history of these little engines. This one had two brass plates on it, one has WD stamped in it, so we think it probably ran a generator, perhaps for battery charging. It had a plastic fuel pipe though, so either it is not that old, or someone added the fuel pipe later.

Reply to
Pete Aldous

Nick Meikle used to have a complete set in tubular frame with close coupled dynamo and control panel. He ran a small search light with it, but I don't know if that was its original application. ISTR Fuel tank should be a large flattish affair mounted on the frame, rather than the small cylindrical one on the engine at Haddenham.

Reply to
Nick Highfield