Hartop FE

Bit of a nail biter! Come on, you were all watching - those that weren't bidding anyway;-)

Nick H

A very nice and unusual engine. Glad to see its going to a good home. Is that another one for the garden?

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

"Dan Howden" wrote

I suppose when you look at it like that it was cheap. No Hartop could exactly be called common, but the FE is certainly seen out and about a good deal less than AV and S types. I wonder if this is a reflection of production numbers or is it just that some (not me) might think it doesn't have the appeal of an open crank, ie another 'cinderella engine' destined to be left in the shed while others go to the rally?

Reply to
Nick H

That one's too nice for the garden - it will go on a shelf in the workshop with the other two Hartops ;-)

I've still to work out the logic of Ebay - a Lister Junior ( and in certain cases a D-type!) will fetch nearly as much as this Hartop did, whereas the more scarce stuff doesn't appear to attract the bidders - are people scared to chance their arm with something different or unusual?

Regards Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

It would appear so. Even the more desirable open crank engines often fail to sell for as much as a bog standard Amanco hired man or Fairbanks Z type.

Not that im complaing though. I got my Ruston 2PS relatively cheap off ebay, so its not all bad.

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

Ebay stuff sells on the weekends. Always start and finish on a Saturday or Sunday as a lot of people don't scan the adverts in the week. I also think it has been pointed out before somewhere that most of the engine List email/traffic is timed during the working day when people can use their work PC....

Friday evenings it goes dead!

Peter

Peter A Forbes

An interesting buy, which I might just have been watching :-).

I think the logic of eBay is that many of the buyers of our sort of tackle are relatively new to the game, so they desire something that either runs or that is common enough so that they might be able to find parts for it.

I thought this was a lovely set that went cheap and if it had been nearer to home, I would have gone for it.

I've a feeling it has been on eBay before. Does anyone remember it?

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

I don't remember it being on before, but it was a steal at that price. Its good to see complete sets like that, it adds a bith of history to the engine.

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

Reply to
martin hirst

I'm sure I saw it a few months ago.

Mart> An interesting buy, which I might just have been watching :-).

Reply to
Campingstoveman