Lister A Spark Plug

Chaps, Any idea of type used please and the likely modern day equivalent please? Thanks, Ian.

Reply to
Ian

Lodge BBL said by Lodge to be same as 8COM. Modern = D16 but my preference would be for an NGK A6 as I've had nothing but trouble with a D16 hth Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

I assume you will running the engine either light or with no load at all. In which case I would recommend that you use an NGK A6 plug, or a Champion D21 if you really must. These are hot plugs and will be better able to resist carbon and oil fouling.

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
philipte

I like experimenting with plugs. Our engines' designers never intended that they would spend long hours in unproductive labour as - in their natural state - the operator would have turned it off to save fuel. So, whatever the manufacturer's recommendation, it pays to see what can be done to give the poor spark the best chance it has.What with a low initial compression ratio, the shrouding effect of a side valve design, worn cylinder bores, ill fitting rings, ancient magnetos and mica insulated plugs which MUST be sixty years old, I'm amazed at the forgiving nature of our Iron Toys ;o))

Rallies are a good place to experiment, as you are often sat there with nothing to do. I spent a very productive Lister-Tyndale rally with a Petter PU2 doing plug swaps, fine adjustments to the carb etc. It was a warm, sunny day and it kept me quiet off and on for 6 hours! I eventually ended up with a NGK BP6ES, an extended nose plug that consistently ran a Cadbury's Bournville colour. The engine ran hotter which keeps the condensation down, too.

Years ago, you could get plug adaptors to sleeve the hole from 18mm to 14mm. Anyone know where they can still be found?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

"Spring in the air?" "Spring in the air yerself !"

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Try this link:

But I still don't think a Petter M would look right with one of these in it :-)

Regards

Philp T-E

Reply to
ClaraNET

I have two with the wretched things long rusted in and you are right :-) Each to his own but I have found that 70 year old mica plugs are utterly reliable and far more tolerant than modern plugs with one very important proviso - leaded fuel pollutes and wrecks them. regards Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

i always use D16, never had any problems personally.

thanks, martyn

Reply to
Martyn Butler