Marvil bit needed

My Marvil is missing an important part. In the points cam, there is a long, narrow slot. In this slot lies a long, curved bit of brass with a spring behind it. As the revs rise, so it centrifuges out against spring pressure & holds the points open to stop the engine running off in a fit of destructive glee.

When I got it, I was unaware of this device & there being only a direct lift carb, was surprised when it damn near took off! Luckily, I had it clamped in the vice & was able to shove my hand over the inlet & stop it, although I'd guess it got close to 8,000rpm before it ran out of puff & started eight stroking. I thought sweatily that it was probably not designed to rotate that quickly & examination revealed this bit was missing from mine & present in others.

Well, I thought I might dig it out this winter & see if I can't fix it. Can anyone sell me the relevant parts? or perhaps lend me the bits so I can make one. It seems simple enough & one might file it up if a pattern were to hand.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

narrow slot. In this slot lies a long, curved bit of

spring pressure & holds the points open to stop the

carb, was surprised when it damn near took off!

inlet & stop it, although I'd guess it got close to

sweatily that it was probably not designed to rotate that

anyone sell me the relevant parts? or perhaps lend me

pattern were to hand. Regards, Kim Siddorn

Hi Kim, In the parts list it isn't mentioned as a part itself unless its part of the points assembly. see

Dave Croft

It's a special didger but appears to be original. The points cam has a slot milled in it & cross drilled. The spring sits in a hole & pushes one end of the bar upwards. Thus, the longer end rises out of the groove as it spins faster & open the points, this slowing the engine.

This Marvil is mounted on a bedplate with a dynamo, so it's conceivable that it's a special to achieve a set speed. I wonder how efficient it was?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

"Kim Siddorn" wrote:-

.

Pretty sure that's the standard method of governing - both my engines have it. I pulled the flywheel off of one and unmantled the offending part - looks like a brass woodruff key with an 'ole in it! Took a few pics which I have emailed you off list. I could send the part for you to copy if required, but it should be simple enough to reverse engineer from the slot in the cam.

Reply to
Nick H

Half the battle is seeing one Nick - pictures arrived just now. I was half expecting something difficult in the way of the segment having a hump or something.

Thanks very much for taking the trouble - out with the file!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn NHH wrote ...........

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

"Kim Siddorn" wrote

No trouble really, gave me an excuse to get out into the workshop and Mr Villiers' (well Mr Marston's) self extracting taper arrangement is a delight!

Reply to
Nick H

Chance to get into the work shop would be a fine thing, spent today cutting a tree back that after twenty years decided to bang against the roof causing some damage on Thursday to the Gutters and eaves :-((

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman