Mercury arc Rectumfryers

Subject: Re: Wessex crank up Date: 10 December 2003 15:55

Talking about Rectumfriers, I've always hankered after a mercury-arc rectumfrier, prefereably a small one producing 50volts (I can use it on my

1930's Strowger then ), but they seem to be impossible to find, I can't even remember the last time I saw a Tungar up for grabs. From: "Andy Greening"

Hi Andy, I maintained a few of these in Telephone Exchanges in the 1960's. The Tube always reminded me of a giant luminous Octopus. You can see more about them at

Dave Croft

Reply to
Dave Croft

I remember spending some time in the Rectifier House at Laxey on the Manx Electric Railway, thirty-mumble years ago. It was interesting to watch each rectifier "kick in" as a tram went from one section to another...................

There's actually one in working order in the Stationary Power Museum at the Midland Railway Centre, coupled up to a generator powered by a gurt big Ruston horizontal Diesel.................

Brian L Dominic

NB Rumpus

Web Sites: NB Rumpus:

Friends of the Cromford Canal:
Mid-Derbyshire Light Railway:

Brian Dominic me

What a site! Those lovely M-As glowing away! Thanks. Ag

Reply to
Andy Greening

wrote

They are still there, still working and still have the full spare boxed set purchased when the railway was new. They have never needed to use them despite 100 years in service.

Paul

-- ____________________________________

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

(under construction)

Reply to
Paul Evans

Now there's quaility for you! Ag

They

Reply to
Andy Greening

Between this and the thread on Atis about "piles" we must be getting into Martin's neck of the woods :-) ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Roland, This isn't a patch on the surreal " 'rhoids bleeding a bunch" thread.

I'm going to stop now before George comes down on me like a ton of toilet paper :-)

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

Thank you very much,

Had you not noticed how quiet it has been this last week, I have just spent the last week in Milan on business and have only just picked up my mails to find my name in vain when I have not upset or annoyed anybody. There's gratitude for you. :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

You're not trying hard enough...... :-))

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Watch this space :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

May I respectfully question your veracity o peripatetic one. Perhaps if we were to add " ...this week" (and exclude any Italians) it might just scrape through ;-) welcome home. Roland

"Campingstoveman" wrote

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Roland, Its not good, I shall have to get the computer table fixed. It all collapses when I remove the dictionary out from under one of the legs to find out if you are being rude to me yet again. But I suppose its another word to baffle others with:-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman