New BTH Magnetos for Norman T300 and the like

Had a good day today at our local club rally. Engines ran impeccably but it was bloody hot (managed to get burnt through my brolley!). There was a lot of run of the mill stuff although having only one Lister D and two Petter A1's made a refreshing change. There were, however, more Wolseley WDII's than you could shake a stick at (whatever that means). It is more of a tractor show. There was an immaculate Ruston AP 2.5 HP and a nice trailer mounted Crossley 7 HP driving a humongous generator - oh and a 18 HP Crossley vertical salvaged from the local flee pit cinema that is complete but definitely still work in progress - it apparently ran on creosote during the war years.

Anyway, to get to the point:

I met a bloke (as you do) who's father worked in some RAF stores somewhere just after the war and who was presumably shocked to find a couple of brand new Norman BTH magnetos in his lunch box when he got home one night about 50 years ago. Anyway, said bloke is looking for a buyer for one or more of these magnetos and is open to offers (obviously he was trying to flog me one but as we were standing in front of an impeccably behaved and running Norman I guess he got the message that I didn't need one). I said I'd put the word out on the NG. If anyone is interested, I can put you in touch.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
mark.howard10

Point to watch even on new mags this age is deteriation. Some years ago I was making brass manual advance retard housing for auto BTH mags as the vintage guys wanted these. A friend managed to get about 70 brand spanking new mags from Wimpeys or Murphys or some such company when they were having a clear out. These were off those road thumper of years gone by, you know the Irish motor bikes

Anyway what looked like a good deal turned sour as most of these broke down electrically after only a short while running and he had to have them rewound at his expense. So bear this in mind price wise when thinking about this.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

John,

You have an excellent point (particularly the Irish motor cycle part :)) )

I have no financial interest in these magnetos, but if anyone is interested, I'll ask the chap to run some tests to verify their usefulness or otherwise before anyone gets too excited!

Regards

Mark

mark.howard10