Remetalling in the NW?

It's a few years since I had any bearings remetalled, I've got a (fairly urgent) job coming up & will be pleased to hear suggestions for anyone reliable for the job within striking distance of Warrington. I can probably just dump the whole job, crank, con rod, bushes, with my friendly neighbourhood reconditioners but that's likely to be a pretty expensive option. Don't mind travelling a bit if it's worth doing so.

Alternatively, anyone got undersize mains for a Crossley BW1 ?

Thanks Tim

Tim Leech

Using our Hoyt babbitt metal are: LVW Senar in Birkenhead. Weir Street Light Engineering in Blackburn Hindles in Bradford There are many more but a bit further from you. Phil

Reply to
Phil

Many thanks, I'll look them up.

Is yours the only game in town these days?

Tim Dutton Dry-Dock Traditional & Modern canal craft repairs Vintage diesel engine service

Reply to
Tim Leech

I've checked with my friendly neighbourhood reconditioners this morning, they've confirmed that the people I used in the past are defunct, they would also have to start from a list of phone numbers as they don't see enough remetalling to have a 'tame' company. He did ask the question "can't you do it in bronze?" which had casually crossed my mind but not being a real mechanical engineer I don't know enough to be confident about it. I don't want the job coming back, it's about 1 1/2 days' work to get the engine uncoupled and accessible, plus the same to get it back again! Of course I know that white metal is more forgiving of particles carried with the oil, does anyone have any comments other than this on the idea?

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

One of those questions where, largely uninformed, opinion seems to be sharply divided :-). However I've stripped too many engines with journals wrecked by Bronze (of many varieties) to ever commend it. I certainly would not dream of using Bronze on a full diesel nor would any of the re-metallers around here. Also I reckon there is more work in making new bronze shells than re-lining the old ones. Even with carriage you may find this lot worth consideration: Thurston Engineering Ltd, Stondon Road, Ongar, Essex CM5 9RB, Tel : 01277 362135 Fax : 01277 36507

Thanks for the small parcel. Weather permitting I'll aim for a test this week :-) regards Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

Thanks Roland. This is actually (mainly) the mains, the big end isn't bad and could probably be adjusted & put back into service, though if we're going for remetalling we'll do everything.

The mains are just flanged tubes, easy enough to machine up from bronze stock. It's only because the local man (who's been in the game a long time, & has a good reputation) suggested bronze that I thought I would ask for other opinions.

It's one of those jobs where there isn't really a lot of money available, but having got this far because of the work involved in getting access to the job it would be daft not to spend the money.....

The job only started as fixing an oil leak

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

I had my car engine done at Lane Ends Engineering in Prescot. 0151 426 0230 so its just across the water but takes some finding. It was something like £70 for a main and £60 for a big end. Its about 5-6 years ago though. The engine still runs well and it transformed the oil pressure.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

These people are engine re-manufacturers with full machining facilities on the premises. I can thoroughly recommend them from personal experience with car engines including a Range Rover.

Cannot comment on re-metalling though but I have seen several stationary engines in there for work.

Reply to
George Hendry

Thanks to both of you for that, it sounds hopeful.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

I've left the whole job with him (crank grind etc) as he's kindly said he'll leave the 1920's Bentley engine he had just started on in order to get my job done.

Many thanks

Tim

Tim Leech

Collected today and looks, at least superficially, like a good job. Circa 500 notes for a full crank grind, remetal two 3.5" dia mains, one of which is about 5" long, one 3.25" dia big end, all bored to suit and oilways cut etc.

Not ulimately my money, but I'm happy with that.

Friendly service and done exactly in the time predicted.

He reckons the crank has been metal sprayed in the past, mainly from the unpleasant smell when grinding it!

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Tim,

If you look closely at the journals you may see the join from metal spraying, when I worked for ABB robotics I had to service metal spraying robots at a company in Swindon. Their main business was aircraft engine parts. The metal spraying equipment carried by the robot is best described as a very large and long model aircraft ram jet. The equipment was housed inside a sound booth but the noise was still uncomfortable on the ouside when they were running mostly a very low but powerful rumble. The gun produced a powerful plasma jet into which was injected the metal which is hurled at the target.

Mart> >

Reply to
Campingstoveman

There is indeed a visible boundary on one of the main journals where the colour changes to a duller grey on the sprayed metal. He did point this out to me also, but the smell was what originally alerted him to the metal spraying, I thought that was interesting (to a sad git like me )

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech