NG awareness (lack of)

ISP's and other companies claim they supply what "the average customer" wants and it sounds like newsgroup access is moving to the bottom of the list. Boy, it makes you wonder who they class as "the average customer" or what they were smoking at the time! There is also the perennial problem of assuming a user has a lot more basic knowledge than they may actually have. I have learnt to ask, sometimes more than once and then print off as much information as possible. I recently switched to the german News.Individual.net that others who access this newsgroup use. I ran off

20+ pages from the help files to try to cover all possible problems (not my printer ink I would add ). There information is always there but is sometimes hard to find. Some people will back off at the first problem encountered and never bother to try again.

JohnR

Reply to
John Rogers

Pipex carries it too.

Reply to
Niall

If you can't get the list on your server sign up for NEWS.CIS.DFN.DE Its free & totally reliable. I think the German University has started a new list with a the name NEWS.INDIVIDUAL.NET. This is as reliable as the older one. See

to subscribe.

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Map
Map

Dave Croft

Mr Griffin,

Have I displeased you in some way! My name taken in vane again :-))

Martin P

Arthur Griff> > A word of warning, however, watch out for Martin Perman.;-)

Reply to
Campingstoveman

What direction is the wind then? ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Trust you to spot that one. To cold in the shed is it. :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Girls, girls, let's have some decorum now, the children are listening....:-))

Peter

Peter A Forbes

News.Individual.net is the one I've just subscribed to. Plenty of advice and guidance on setting up an account.

JohnR

difficulties

Reply to
John Rogers

Way too cold and its the weekend so I'm indoors doing housework, the reversal of the working routine ttfn Roland PS Even as ye sow, so shall ye reap :-)

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Roland, Usually big words, so I bought a dictionary, now its quotes and proverbs so I had better buy a thesaurus :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Is that the big flying one or the one with humps? regards Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Careful Martin. Someone may have shares in your local bookshop and is trying to drum up business :-))

JohnR

Reply to
John Rogers

Roland,

Your very good tonight, almost down to my standard. Well done :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

What's a book shop ?