(noddy) question about governors

I'm sure the English would find a way to live with 91 RON petrol if it was as cheap as yours :-).
A fair number of traction and ploughing engines had plain front wheels actually. Maybe they're off something like these?
?v=0
Yes, but I didn't mean that the RJ45 sockets are on the same machine that has the Z80 processor. They were on later, more boring machines.
I took a couple of pictures of the ScreenTyper:
Best wishes,
Chris
Reply to
Christopher Tidy
True :-)
Could be. The spoke density and hubs are more like the former on the traction engine. The rims are all 3/8" metal, the spokes 5/8" - so whatever they're from, they were designed to take a reasonable load. Wheel diameter is 31".
I'm just surprised if they were steered wheels (and there's nothing to suggest that they were driven) that they didn't have some form of tread, either metal or rubber. I'll see if I can snap some photos later if I remember.
Aha - Ok! :-)
Hmm, looks like it's perhaps just a bog-standard 80x25 ASCII terminal with a serial port connection. Maybe the 'screentyper' bit came from some marketing department to make it sound like it did something interesting :)
cheers
Jules
Reply to
Jules
This looks very much like the first personal computer I used back in the 80s. It was an all-in-one package with keyboard and a 9" monochrome screen, and was used mainly with Wordstar, an early word processing package that set up formatting by using 2 character followed by a full stop (dot) commands, and printed on an Epson dot matrix printer. It was an absolute revolution after using manual typewriters and correcting fluid. Regards, Richard Tuesday 25/08/2009, 09:14
Reply to
Richard Green
Could be - the following lists it as "type of word processor":
(search for 'SCREENTYPER')
... but then back then lots of folks didn't make the distinction between standalone computer running WP software, and simple terminal connected to a computer (which ran the software).
After some more digging, it seems that 'OEM Screentyper' was the the name of the company itself, not a specific model.
I never did get on with Wordstar (despite liking the arcane control mechanism of vi). I loved the early versions of Wordperfect, though, before they went all graphics-based...
cheers
Jules
Reply to
Jules
If anyone wants this machine, it's free to a good home. Free to any home, actually. I badly need the space!
Best wishes,
Chris
Reply to
Christopher Tidy
Found one of these. No hard drive and I can confirm orange text but I cant find a keyboard at all
Reply to
Calum
Found one of these. No hard drive and I can confirm orange text but I cant find a keyboard at all
Reply to
Calum
Update: The keyboard is a typewriter! From what I know it would show what you typed so you could make corrections while working on a paper