Hit or Miss engine

Hi all,

I am thinking of buying an engine, and have set my heart on someting hit or miss governed, cos I like the sound! Trouble is, I don't know for sure which engines were so equipped, so if anyone could post a brief list of the most common ones I would be most grateful,

Reply to
Martin Brooks

Not my thing & I know others better informed than I will reply with what you need.

I can warn you that (for instance) Amanco engines can be either throttle governed or hit & miss & look more or less the same. You need to know the differences to look out for when going to view a prospective purchase.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

Don't blame you Martin - when I first became aware of stationary engines as a kid, the only 'proper' ones to me were open crank, LT ignition and definitely hit or miss governed!

It would be difficult to give a list, as Kim said many manufacturer's produced very similar throttle and H&M engines. Often the former would be a petrol / paraffin model as a lightely loaded H&M engine tends not to retain enough heat to run well on the heavier fuel. The first thing to look for is the absence of a throttle linkage - on the popular Amanco engines this is a round shaft running below the flat section side rod. The H&M mechanism itself most commonly consists of a catch plate on the side rod which engages with a rocker arm (often pivoted on a forked end to the cam spindle) the other end of which sits in the governor sleeve.

This site

the principle but does not illustrate the most common layout.

In this wiki pici of an Amanco you can just see the catch plate and end of the rocker arm.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Amanco_hit-and-miss_engine(GDSF_2007).JPG For comparison here is a throttle governed Amanco

NHH

Reply to
Nick H

arm.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Amanco_hit-and-miss_engine(GDSF_2007).JPG

Screwed up the wiki link

NHH

Reply to
Nick H

Hi Martin, First question is, do you want horizontal or vertical, enclosed or open crank?

Common ones are Amanco as already mentioned, Bamford, Bradford, or any of the plethora of small American engines that are all variations on the hit and miss theme. My favourite is the Brownall/Melco design as it is about as simple as you can get.

Regards Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden