Question.

Hello all. I was just wondering, is the side mounted cam shaft a British thing? I don't see American horizontal engines with side cam shafts and that is a shame since I find them a wonderfull detail to watch. I really enjoy watching the rockers working on the big Rustons. Are most of these side shaft engines throttle governed? Most of the American flywheel engines were hit & miss and had a sucker intake and a trip rod operated exhaust.

Reply to
Scott McAfee

Hi Scott, there were a number of sideshaft (SS) engines made in the USA but most of these are reasonably early (most pre1910 but some a little later). The names which come to mind are Witte, Root & VanDervoort, Stover, Columbus, Alamo, Domestic (they made nice little SS engines for a long time). The most amazing of the American SS engines are the so called 'cam-stopper' engines. These engines governed by disengaging the sideshaft when the rated speed was reached and then reengaging it when the speed dropped. Pretty interesting to watch. Most American engines are pushrod but they made some very nice SS engines. A lot of UK SS engines are hit and miss. A couple of examples are the Blackstones which govern by not allowing any fuel to enter the engine at all and engines like the JJ Crossley which governs by not opening the exhaust valve.

Reply to
Patrick M Livingstone

I will have to keep my eye out for those. I havn't seen any at the local shows yet. The cam-stopper engines would be interesting to see. I would be interested to see the mechanism that could dis engage the shaft without loosing timing position! Thanks for the reply Patrick.

Reply to
Scott McAfee