Hello all - Newbie (first Google+ group)

Hey everyone! I've been a modeler for 40 plus years now, mostly A/C but I d o almost the entire spectrum. Just retired from the military and I'm going
back to school. Got quite a few projects going on, in addition to volunteer ing at the China Lake Museum of Armament & Technology. I'm a member of the local VFW, American Legion, Eagles, national DAV and IPMS. I look forward t o meeting some of you all!
:-)
Hello and welcome to the group. There's not many around here anymore, but some are. in alt.binaries.pictures.aviation and alt.binaries.pictures.military there is a lot more going on, and a lot of nice pictures are being posted. Claus Gustafsen still active MCPO in RDN.
www.gustafsen.nu
--
Denne e-mail er fri for virus og malware idet avast! Antivirusbeskyttelse er aktiveret.
On Thursday, August 7, 2014 4:33:40 AM UTC-4, C. Gifford wrote:

do almost the entire spectrum. Just retired from the military and I'm goin g back to school. Got quite a few projects going on, in addition to volunte ering at the China Lake Museum of Armament & Technology. I'm a member of th e local VFW, American Legion, Eagles, national DAV and IPMS. I look forward to meeting some of you all!

You're about 10 years too late for this online model discussion newsgroup. Most folks have departed for specific armor, aircraft, ship or car modeling forums somewhere on the web.
On 7/08/2014 11:57 PM, RobG wrote:

/waves at Major Rob. (Or is it General now? ;) )
Yes, sadly RMS is pretty close to dead. Which sucks, because I have yet to find the same sense of 'belonging' in any of the web-based forums I've looked at.
RobG (the Aussie one)

Amen. None of them are as free wheeling and helpful as this place used to be.
--
When the government is no longer constrained by the laws of the land, then
neither are the people.

Oops, sorry for the semi political user name and comment. I moved my info from my desktop to my notebook and my RMS identity didn't transfer properly. This is the first time I've posted since so I just now noticed. Won't happen again.
On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 17:22:02 +0000, Thomas Paine wrote:

Aeroscale and Britmodeller are the two I've found which come closest to the RMS spirit.

Hmm, I'll have to give them a go again. It was the all subjects nature of this place that I liked and also that I could use a text basedreader which is very easy to use. A lot of web based content is poorly done and to many things try to load.
On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 19:47:20 +0000, Frank Tauss wrote:

THen you'd probably like Britmodeller more; all of the topic areas are on one page instead of spread out over several sites like Aeroscale and the rest of the Kitmaker network. Britmodeller is also much more text-friendly but the inline pictures are nice :)

True indeed, 99% of web-based forums is just a mess of signatures and design junk, with a line of actual text content here and there. Still, if one is discussing modelling and photo references are required, it can have its benefits compared to text-only newsgroups.
--
NNTP on Emacs 24.3 from Windows 7

On Monday, 18 August 2014 03:25:40 UTC+1, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:

On the other hand all the raving nutters have migrated to the web based side of things, Usenet is more like it was in the late 1980s albeit with fewer postings these days.
--

Cheers

Mike

ModelWarships.com for ships is very good.
--

On Saturday, August 16, 2014 7:34:49 AM UTC-4, RobG wrote:

t I do almost the entire spectrum. Just retired from the military and I'm g oing back to school. Got quite a few projects going on, in addition to volu nteering at the China Lake Museum of Armament & Technology. I'm a member of the local VFW, American Legion, Eagles, national DAV and IPMS. I look forw ard to meeting some of you all!

up. Most folks have departed for specific armor, aircraft, ship or car mode ling forums somewhere on the web.

Hi there! No, not a general. I was promoted to lieutenant colonel in 2005 a nd retired at Fort Knox in 2011. I turned down a colonel position at the Pe ntagon in 2010 because the promotion was not a guarantee and if I didn't ge t promoted, I would have had to move again in less than a year.
I now work for another general, General Electric.
RobG (the other one)
C. Gifford wrote:

...you've just reminded me that I've missed our local meeting of the HDSM at the local library last night! Look for me - I'm the guy with the fox tail on his Harley...
Welcome home, congrats on your retirement, and thanks for wearing the uniform!
--
- Rufus