Hit & Miss

Evening All, What would be a average price to pay for a Hit & Miss engine that required to be fully reconditioned, no frost damage, mag intact, etc? Regards, Ben

Reply to
Ben

Prices vary enormously but I would say the average *asking* figure is running about £500 - £750 for a medium sized (2-3hp) Amanco, Bradford or similar in good oily condition - less for any broken, missing or badly worn parts, more for something a tad more 'exotic' like Bamford, Powell etc.

Waiting for the flak!

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

It is most important to find out just what the engine is before proceeding! Some will fetch a lot more than others.

Any paint left? Does it rotate? Have compression? Does it run?

regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Many thanks to Nick and Kim Best regards. Ben

Reply to
Ben

"Ben" wrote

Come on then, spill - what is it and are you looking to sell or weighing up a potential purchase?

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Hiup Nick, No, our lad has been looking for one for a few months, everyone he has looked at has had bits missing, cracked castings, generally a load of rubbish for the price they were asking. Ben

Reply to
Ben

B> Hiup Nick, B> No, our lad has been looking for one for a few months, everyone he has B> looked at has had bits missing, cracked castings, generally a load of B> rubbish for the price they were asking. Ben

Can be a bit of a minefield. I bought my Bradford from a classified ad in Staionary Engine Magazine and I see the current issue has a couple of candidates. obviously check out ebay, though it is probably best to stick to ltems you can view. But the best way is probably to get to a couple of the big sales we are always twittering on about.

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

I'd respectfully suggest that a club member sale would be more cost-effective, ebay and other venues tend to have inflated pricing.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

"Peter A Forbes" wrote

Good point Peter - I have had some good aquisitions through clubs (and in a way I'd include this ng in that catagory) though usually rather less 'mainstream' than what I think Ben is after and very often on an exchange rather than purchase basis.

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

I've never had the interest in hit and miss engines myself, as I always wanted to get the tools out and make them run 'properly' !

The large stuff at Portland is quite impressive, you need to get out there and see it.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

"Peter A Forbes" wrote

When I first became interested in stationary engines as a youngster in the

1970's, the only 'proper' ones to me were of the open crank, hopper cooled, hit and miss governed, low tension ignited variety - though the first engine to actually come my way was a Petter M! Some years later I scratched the hit and miss itch with a Bradford King-Of-All as mentioned but though I still like to see this sort of engine at rallies and could happily listen to that huffa huffa huffa huffa - pop all day, my own collection has veered towards rather less mainstream (and mosly rather less expensive) stuff.

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H