interesting

Just rec.d this E-Mail . ----------------------

A personal newsletter for M.hodgson from Beaulieu :

Old Sodbury's Sortout Comes to Beaulieu

We are please to announce that running alongside our famous MotorMart Autojumble on Sunday 18th May, one extra event field will be dedicated to the very popular annual Spring Old Sodbury Land Rover Sortout.

The Sodbury Sortout is basically a giant car boot sale for all things Land Rover, taking place twice a year, and has become accepted as the best time and place to buy or sell any sort of Land Rover related item. It is usually possible to find just about any part you might need, from Series l right up to Discovery ll, and a whole mountain of stuff you don't need but are tempted by anyway.

With traffic management concerns at Newbury, the Sortout's organisers were very pleased to receive an invitation from Beaulieu to hold their event on the Beaulieu showgrounds on the Sunday of its own popular MotorMart Autojumble weekend.

The Sortout's organiser Jim Wilkie said: "Beaulieu's invitation to locate the Sortout right alongside the Spring MotorMart Autojumble overcomes all the reservations we had about organising Sortouts in 2008 and by holding a Sortout at Beaulieu, visitors can combine several interesting visits in one trip."

Beaulieu's MotorMart Autojumble is taking place on 17th & 18th May with the Old Sodbury Sortout featuring on the Sunday. In addition to the Motormart Autojumble and Old Sodbury Sortout your ticket will include entry to all the Beaulieu attractions, all opening at 10am.

Reply to
Mike.H.

Seems like an extraordinary choice given the 'excuses' for abandoning Newbury show ground with its excellent transport links. My father and I used to be regulars at the big Beaulieu autojumble (I even bought a nice little engine there one year!) and it was always a bit of a pig to get to with guaranteed traffic around Winchester and Southampton plus near grid lock on the network of tiny B roads across the New Forest. Perhaps, as this letter covers the Land Rover event only, the engine and tractor sale will not follow.

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

I had a quick word with Jim Wilkie when gave one of his 'Dustbin' film shows at our club meeting tonight. The distinct impression I had from him was that things were 'in hand' regarding the engine and tractor sort out but he would not expand further. He was forthcoming regarding the Land Rover event already mentioned.

JohnR

Reply to
JohnR

Tickets are =A38.50 Sat and =A38.00 Sunday so a hike on Newbury's prices. Still not too bad though. I doubt I will be there though. Newbury is only 20 minutes from me so convenience was the deciding factor.

John

Reply to
John

150 miles each way for us, although as Rita's Sister lives down the road at Pennington, I suppose it could be a 'brownie point' trip....

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

c> To far for me, c> would make the bits I might need very expensive to buy.

c> Martin P

Are we still talking about the Land Rover do, or have I missed some news about the engine and tractor event?

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

To far for me, would make the bits I might need very expensive to buy.

Reply to
campingstoveman

sorry nick I'm assuming as usual :-))

Reply to
campingstoveman

If you are assuming that I know the details - I don't. All I can find on the Old Sod's site

regarding the vintage sale is a statement thus "we are working on new dates and venues for the Vintage Sortouts but are not yet in a position to announce them" and a few plugs for alternative events (including Enstone). So, if you know more, do tell! If you are assuming that the vintage sale is also destined for Beaulieau - that's not how I read it.

I am still astounded by some of the reasons given for abandoning Newbury, particularly the concerns over road congestion. It is the Royal Berkshire Showground for goodness sake, the locals and/or police must expect people to go there for events - indeed the whole of the M4, A34 junction was recently remodelled, in part to cope with show traffic. The area covered by the vintage sortout is a fraction of that occupied by the County show and I would imagine the attendance figures are similarly lower, I have certainly never had any problems getting in - usually under ten minutes from leaving the M4 to being parked up.

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H