Scammell engine info

Hi everyone, we were at a sale on Saturday and couldn't resist buying a tidy looking Scammell engine.It has had something coupled onto it at some time in the past and the first words to enter my head were of course "Fire Pump".After the sale some friends and I had a bit of a chinwag about the engine and there are a few theories being bandied about about it's past.The thing which is causing debate to rage is it's colour,it is green(obviously original)instead of the usual red.Military use was one of the options but it is a lighter shade of green than the usual army green.Another possible was that it powered a large mowing machine for cricket pitches etc. The name plate has both an engine no. and a pump no. so I still favour the pump option.If anyone has any info on these engines/pumps I would be very interested. Cheers,Kenny.

Reply to
k.williams

Pictures ? Army green for engines wasn't olive green but a lighter green called Eau-de-neal.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

eau de nil, maybe? Get the mc pix, John?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Are we talking petrol or diesel here? If diesel, the pump no. could be the injector pump no.

Scammel did do a few marine engines, even their own marine gearboxes though I think there was a certain abount of rebadging or use of others' designs here.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

This engine was designed for use with a fire pump and was called the Scammell ultra-light weight fire pump. Bore and stroke of the engine 70mm x

76mm and 3hp, output of the pump is 54 gallons/minute. The pump is of the centrifugal impeller type direct coupled to the engine via a long crank shaft and a aluminium bell housing cast on to the side of the crankcase, this bell housing is a weak point and will crack if the unit is not handled carefully which is why you see engines minus the pump. I don't know if this engine was ever sold on its own or fitted to anything other than the fire pump, the usual colours are grey for military use and red for civil use, so sorry no ideas on a green one. - Paul.
Reply to
Paul swindell

The unit was commonly referred to as a piddler pump, though it was a lot more powerful than a man with a stirrup pump and a bucket....... Actually, I've seen one at the late lamented Knowl Hill Rally , with the suction pipe in the ornamental lake, and throwing a jet of water at least 60-70 feet. Not bad for a little 'un, though its efforts were rather overshadowed by a Shand Mason steam fire pump next to it, going flat out, and taking two people to hold the hose :-)

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
philipte

Hi everyone,thanks to those of you who have given me pointers so far. In order to give those who are interested photos I have joined Webshots and put 5 photos on there.Being a bit of a thicko as far as this sort of thing is concerned I have not worked out how to create a link for you to click on to take you there but if you go to their site and search my username which is woolsleley you will find the file scammell and be able to see the photos. Cheers for now,Kenny.

Reply to
k.williams

Hi Kenny The wild & Wolsley, Is

Your site? If so have you made sure you have ticked Public Viewing?

Reply to
Dave Croft

Hi David and all, That is not my site but I can see why you got there.

Mine is

Kenny.

Dave Croft wrote:

Reply to
k.williams

replying to k.williams, Listerd1950 wrote: Hello there Was just wondering if you know where I could find an online version of the manual for a Scammell light weight pump engine ! Joshua

Reply to
Listerd1950

replying to Listerd1950, Neil Minto wrote: I wondered that too. I am having difficulties reassembling our pump. Would appear to have two large brass "gaskets"

Reply to
Neil Minto