O/T? Drills

Just had a flyer from Screwfix. They are selling a steel storage box of

170 HSS drills for =A317.49 or TiN coated for =A324.99. There are 10 of each 1 - 8mm and 5 of each 8.5 - 10mm in 0.5mm steps.

I bought a set like this many years ago in preference to the usual small sets where you get one of each size. Those are fine until you break the one you're using. Then you're stuffed unless you have a second set. Take that logic on and you end up with a box like this.

HSS Part No 53311-01 TiN Part No 66069-01

John

Reply to
John

i have a draper drill sharpener, but cannot get the correct angle on the drill tip. The drills end up worst than before i sharpened them.

lister CS burning veg oil, running a ST-5 alternator. Lister D, Lister LR1, Coventry Victor AD2.

Reply to
ian

I've never found those things much use but I can sharpen drills freehand. Very small ones are a challenge as they dissapear as soon as they touch the stone. Those over about 1" are also a problem as they're wider than my stone. See if you can find someone who can show you how to sharpen drills. It's actually quite easy when you know how. A college of further education may help.

John

Reply to
John

Ian,

Your drill sharpener is it one that you attach to your electric drill or one that you stand next to your off hand grinder. I agree with John about hand held sharpening of drills, first thing I was taught as an apprentice.

Reply to
campingstoveman

I've tried and tried and tried, and still cant do it! Would like to learn though...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Make sure you have a decent quality drill to practice on. Some of the cheaper rolled ones have a horrible web section, they can be a nightmare to do a decent job on & that could be very discouraging when you're trying to learn.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Where are you? Someone may be able to help.

John, in Oxfordshire.

Reply to
John

Place two equal sized nuts together and the angle between two adjacent faces is 120 degrees.

Regards, Dave Carter.

Reply to
D.J.Carter

That gives you the right point angle but does nothing to ensure concentricity, clearance angle and a whole load of other things.

John

Reply to
John

I know, that comes with practice.