O/T Freecycle

First of all, appologies to those who know about this but I've recently discovered Freecycle. It works a bit like eBay but is free. If you've something you no longer need but still works, you offer it on Freecycle. Folks who want it email you and you arrange collection. Of course, it also works the other way for you hoarders out there. If you see something offered, you can ask for it. It's all free. The system is based on regional groups. I'm in the middle of mine which makes life easy. My group is only about 20 miles across so no item is more than 10 miles away. I access Freecycle via Yahoo groups. There's probably other ways as well. Registration is easy. I've found it excelent for passing on stuff that I would otherwise sent to landfill. I've also received things on there that others no longer need. There's even the occasional lawnmower engine :-)

John

Reply to
John

We were logged on for a while, but too many 'professional' boot sale people grabbing things for our liking, and a lot of things we asked about were seemingly never available...

Good idea but badly implemented and managed IMO.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

I hate throwing anything away and tried our local group to get rid of a few household items with plenty of life left in them, but after much shilly shallying, a few no shows and general frustration, I took the lot down the tip. I think the totters down there do a pretty good job of pulling out anything half decent.

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

I think it varies greatly from group to group. None of the ones up here appear to suffer from "booters".

Stuff goes quick, normally within hours or even minutes of the message being distributed by yahoo. I've had pretty good success at getting and shifting stuff that would otherwise have gone to the dump. I do find that aspect a bit annoying both as some one offering or receiving. Can't think of a sensible and easy to manage way around it though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Dave Liquorice" wrote

Quite frankly if I'm going to dump something anyway, I don't much care if someone else makes a quid on it!

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

I'm not overly bothered but I'd rather my junk went to someone who wanted it to use rather than sell.

There is also the difference between regulary snapping up anything in a freecycle list that may have any value very quickly after being offered and just taking what you do have a use for.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice