O/T Is this real?

If it's fake, it's a good one. If it's real, it's frightening.

I felt quite ill just watching it.

John

Reply to
John

No height for heads then, looks genuine enough.

Reply to
campingstoveman

I live in a society of risk-takers & it looks real enough to me! Not my kind of thing, but riding a fast bike in heavy traffic is at least as dependent on not making the slightest error.

You'd probably find two blokes in their thirties, experienced combatants who know each other's style inside out, going to it with enthusiasm with 30" blade broadswords scarey. I still do & I'm used to it!

Regards,

Kim

Reply to
kimsiddorn

I suppose it's my fear of heights combined with the binary risk of ANY mistake =3D death. At least riding my bike gives me the feeling of having some control over the result.

John

Reply to
John

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

About 10 years ago I had the opportunity to go up a 100ft tower crane which was on one of the company sites. When the driver was called to lift a skip, I walked along to the counterbalance blocks. The tower flexed about four feet and I found myself leaning back hard against the blocks as if to try and push it back. The driver later laughed and said you get used to it, and the initial overload test after construction was the muscle tightener!

Regards, Dave Carter.

Reply to
D.J.Carter

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

Gentlemen,

Part of my work requires me to build brand new Washing machines and Decontamination machines in buildings that are still being constructed. I am currently on a building site at the moment and its bloody cold. Before we are allowed to undertake our work we have to spend up to 2 hrs on a induction course learning about all the do's and don'ts. We have to wear PPE ( personal protective equipment) and occasionally we or should I say my colleagues have to wear a fully safety harness to stop them falling off equipment. The only reason I don't use the harness is because I exceed its safe max load :-)) Any way the induction includes some photo's, sometimes rather graphic in nature of injuries. The building company was in china and had to train some Chinese in the use of harnesses and lanyards so they built a scaffold rig for the trainee's to climb and attach themselves as part of the training. What they didn't account for was one of the Chinese decided to see if his harness worked and jumped off much to the delight of his friends and a brown trouser job for the trainers. So we were subjected to the photo's of this man hanging thirty feet from the ground.

Reply to
campingstoveman

Do they also explain the proceedures for getting some one down once they have fallen and are dangling from the fall arrest kit in a harness?

If not it might be worth digging baout on the net getting a few facts and asking the question. Rather nasty things can happen to a body dangling in a harness in not very many minutes. They can't assume the person is still concious or be able to help themselves.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Reply to
campingstoveman

Couldn't agree more. We have a customer engineer who wanders around in shirtsleeves when he can, as we do, but if he knows their H&S guy is coming to site, we all have to wear boilers suits etc etc.

Reflective jackets indoors in a room are stupid, they have their place in open areas where there are moving vehicle hazards etc, but wearing a hard hat in an inappropriate environment is stupidity itself.

Had a good day today, crane and artic turned up at the close at 07.45, all but one of the neighbours had put their cars elsewhere as we requested yesterday by letter, the last one was still in bed and had to be knocked up to move his van...

Unloading of the new roof trusses went very well indeed, with a very professional pair of guys on the crane. Truck was away by 08.45, crane was away by 10.30.

Got the R&H 1ZHR lifted out of its lair, it's been stuck behind the house for a year or so, and the crane guys were happy to do it as part of the job.

A-Lift Crane Hire

01933 222412
We can thoroughly recommend them, the crane was a 4-wheel steer job with about a 30-metre jib, very nice toy!

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Hitting the bottom is not a good idea but neither is dangling on a rope for more than 10 or 20 minutes. They'f be in deeper shit if someone did fall and survived that but then suffered injury because there was no recovery procedure in place.

You can get lower profile hats and bump caps but is the risk (small) falling objects rather than you bumping your head?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

Unfortunately most if not all sites I visit want the standard hard hat and nothing else.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman