OT - Computor stuff

Today I was handed a SanDisk Flashcard by a despondent friend. It has never been very reliable & this time had contrived to loose about 350 pictures. I looked on the Web - Google again being my friend - & quickly found "DiskInternals Flash Recovery" for about twenty quid. It was readily downloaded and pressed into service, recovering not only the 350 pics apparently lost, but also a number previously long deleted. Took about an hour of offline time.

It did exactly what it said on the tin and was easy and intuitive to use. I recommend it should you have need of such a thing.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Kim, I use a similar piece of Software through my Multicard reader called "PC Inspector Smart Recovery" which unfortunately I downloaded for free via Google that also does the job required.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

What is the most reliable medium for storing ones photo's and other important files?

Reply to
Nick H

two separate (mirrored) hard disks, stored with silica in antistatic bags, only thing you have to worry about then is the interface becoming obsolete.

keep both in safe deposit at the bank, that way when your house burns down you don't lose all your backups.

Reply to
Guy Fawkes

Hi Nick, What I do is to have a 150 Gig seperate drive coupled to the computer. Once a month I copy everything except the C drive to a Monthly Folder on the seperate drive. I keep the first copy I did & the last 2 months copies. As I add a month I delete the one 3 months ago. It is also good in that you can take the seperate drive to another computer & download vast quantities of photo,s Etc.

PS I haven't got a clue what you are on about with the joke!! PPS The Lord mayor of Sheffield is a woman.

Reply to
Dave Croft

"Dave Croft" wrote

the seperate drive.

computer & download vast quantities of photo,s Etc.

Yes, I have been looking at external hard drives having recently installed a USB2 card so transferring large files will be less of a pain. But surely an external drive is no less likely to suffer a catastrophic head crash than that in the PC. Flash drives are coming down in price but I agree with Kim that they are not without their problems, I have a 1Gb Viking (no relation to Kim AFAIK) which seems to trip over its toes when copying multiple files. I occasionally remember to back up to CDR, but not often enough and how stable are CDR's anyway?

Oh, perhaps it should have been cornflakes then.

Reply to
Nick H

"campingstoveman" wrote

What multicard reader do you have Martin? I had one from Maplin which expired as soon as it knew it was out of guarantee and now I have a Jessops one which keeps chucking out multiple 'illegal removal of device' messages particularly at switch-on!

Reply to
Nick H

Make copies onto CD's or DVD's and take them with you when you go out, don't leave them indoors to be nicked. We use one of the soft wallet thingeys that Staples and PC World sell, keeps about 20 discs inside.

Once you have a pile of monthly backups, you tend to keep the old backups as well, just in case... Paranoia or what? :-))

We also have a separate machine at home which we only use for dumping data to, including the email programme and the website stuff. Only run it once a month but useful as it is on the network and we can always dive in if someone is using theirs for something else.

Home backups take up 6 DVD's now.....

Peter

Prepair Ltd

I've got a 160gb external Seagate drive for sixty quid from Maplins. Special offer. I plug it into the USB2 port & away it goes. Windows XP even recognises it as bigger than 120gb! I'm in the throws of learning about EHD back ups, but my plan is the same as Dave's.

It has the advantage of being hot plug and unpluggable & the poor PC doesn't get all fretful looking for it for ages after I unplug it.

I also have a 6gb internal drive used externally with which I regularly BU correspondence files. Photos are getting to be a bit of a problem with 14gb currently on file & rising all the time.

I use a SanDisk reader that I bought with the camera three-four years ago & it works just fine.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 16:05:18 +0100, "Dave Croft" finished tucking into their plate of fish, chips and mushy peas. Wiping their mouths, they swiggged the last of their cup of tea, paid the bill and wrote::

seperate drive.

download vast quantities of photo,s Etc.

I have two hard drives: I copy the documents off D: to C: and back Agent up from C: to D: at the end of each session. I use Second Copy, which is a free download from:

It only allows you to update tasks for a month, but you can re-install it and get another 30 days to fiddle with it!

Brian L Dominic

Web Sites: Canals:

of the Cromford Canal:
(Waterways World Site of the Month, November 2005)

Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

Fujifilm DCR71 same make as my camera, I used XD cards in the camera. The computer gave it its own drive letter and it allows me to download and read if required. The cards it can read are XD/SM, CF/MD and SD/MMC. I bought it from Argos two years ago Not cheap at the time £38.00

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Nick, I copy once a month all my photo's once a month onto CD

Martin P

p.s. Knee deep in the bloody things :-))

Reply to
campingstoveman