OT- Electricity at last

The electrics just gone back on after 29 1/2 hours due to the flooding in Carlisle. This event has amazed me, mostly the amount of water that came down the three rivers in the city. I was one of the lucky ones, about 6000 others were not so lucky, deluged with water. The main roundabout in the centre of the city was under about 7` of water, taking out the police station, fire station and countless other properties. The main substation was under water and could not be repaired untill the water subsided. Most of the city is covered in up to 3" of sticky mud, which will take ages to clear away. Anyway, two things I will have to think about now are:- Should I buy a Lister Generator set, then I will have power and a show engine ??? Should I buy a cow, then I`d have milk for me coffee !!! Pics here

like to point out that Hardwicke Circus is a three lane roundabout with a hollow centre about 10 foot deep (where the statue is and the fountain you cannot see !!!

Reply to
Martin Hirst

There's not much there that I can recognise, it's so different to seeing it at ground level. We go to the DRS rail depot (out the back of the town from the last Junction on the M6, through past the supermarket traffic lights to the slight hill and then turn right at the lights) but that was a severe flooding by anyone's standards.

Trouble with a genny set is that it is never where you want it when you need it! When we had our power cut at the factory last Monday Bank Holiday, the genny was at home...

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email Address: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web Pages for Engine Preservation:

Peter A Forbes

Only if the SoM is on a barge :-) IIRC the sub-station is down on the sewage works road which is normally about 15' above the river. The news is as confusing as always, did the Caldew go over badly too? and most importantly has anyone heard from Charles? ttfn Roland

with

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Reply to
Martin Hirst

So you need 2 generators

John

##-----------------------------------------------## Article posted from Internal Fire Newsreader

Share your knowledge in... uk.rec.engines.stationary ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
John Manders

We have two, that's the problem, they are never where we want them when we want them

Peter

Prepair Ltd