OT Inverters

"Little stinky" - I like that & shall steal it most shamelessly!

I've got the 650W version of the ubiquitous little Chinese (I assume) two stroke generator that one sees everywhere these days. Ran our PA system out of the box when the Honda powered 1.5kva decided it needed a rest at an event. A quick run up to the local B&Q ish place & we were back on the road. It delivered a steady output under something more than ordinary load & has done several times since.

However, it will not run my vacuum pump, refuses to spin up the brushless motor even though well within its apparent rating.

It makes a lotta smoke when cold and/or on a light load, but after half an hour of delivering 600W+, it is warmed through, silencer & all and is pretty clean running. I'm tempted to experiment with synthetics & reduce the oil content in the fuel - it was only £75, after all.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

In message , Nick H writes

time for me to chip in ... As someone whose home is set up to run without a mains connection I have a little bit of knowledge in this area. I will describe the setup here on the boat. All lighting is either G4 capsules or double D fittings all run at 24v The 240v system is a split system the main power in, 5KvA Chinese generator, feeds both sides. One side has the Washing machine, Tumble dryer and immersion heater on it. The other side feeds a Heart interface (2.5Kw inverter 65A charger) this has a pass through so when the genny is off it all runs off the inverter. Now this copes easily with the fridge freezer however my Quad hi-fi gets shirty with the modified sine wave. All the rest of the "domestic" equipment is fine. Some clocks tend to run out of time on MSW. However if I am off the moorings I use a 1500w pure sine wave inverter that will run the whole boat with the exception of the tumble Dryer and the heaters on the washing machine ( I have got round that but that's another story) So in summary I would say that in an ideal world you need a 1500w pure sine wave inverter to make the system workable. However even with 400Ah at 24V batteries I still run the genny for a couple of hours a day to keep the batteries above 60%. it will last 2-3 days but it hits the batteries hard. Next investment is going to be a large solar panel or two so that I don't have to run the genny every day.

Reply to
Julian Tether

Blimey Kim, they already run on a 50:1 mix, I'd be dubious about reducing it even further :-) I used to run mine on synthetic and it did reduce the smoke somewhat. Though compared to a Petter M type that hasn't fully warmed up they are pretty clean running anyway.......its all relative.

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
philipte

Should you require another thay are =A339.99 +VAT in Makro this week!

--=20 cerberus

Reply to
cerberus